ORiNOCO ROR-1000 wireless access point

Hello everyone,

I found a ROR-1000 AP from Lucent/ORiNOCO/Proxim/Avaya/Agere (I don't know who has the hand on those devices now, it changed more than once, and it's not easy to find out...).

Of course, the first thing done was to have the box opened, and I found some interesting hardware.

There is a single board, on which are the following chips:

- AMD AM486DX5-133 processor

- ALI M1487 and ALI M1489 chipsets

- BASIS Communications (ex-Cirrus Logic) CL-PD6729 PCMCIA controller

- AMD PCnet-FAST III network controller

- EPIC Ei-16C550 serial FIFO UART

There is no way to plug a screen or a keyboard, but the serial port could be used as console. There are two PCMCIA slots, which are originally used for wireless cards, and I don't know if they can be used for something else.

All these chips are supported by linux (to my knowledge, correct me if I'm wrong).

Further, there are 4MB RAM (two GM71V18163CJ6 with 1M-words each), and 512kB FlashROM (Hy29F040AC-90).

The device works with the original firmware, but there is not much I can do with, since I do not have the pcmcia wireless cards.

My goal is to put a linux kernel on that board, which would boot over the network. IMHO, that kernel has to be on the flash rom, and I don't know how to program the flash memory, nor what has to be programmed exactly in it.

Where can I find information/tips/advice for that problem? Is it possible to put a bigger flash-rom? What are possible limits?

Greetings from switzerland,

Matthias

-- bram4 (_at_) bluewin [-D0T-] ch

Reply to
bram4

buy CF-2-PCMCIA adapter and CF card - you will store your kernel with the whole OS there, all that has to be done is to write a bios (sounds scary) to bood off of that CF card

--
I really have no idea what this means. And since I can't install linux on
it, I'm gonna go back to surfing pr0n.

Hi,

Yeah, I thought that. And I thought LinuxBIOS could be the bios-replacement, but they do not seem to support the ALi M1587 chipset.

Of course writing a BIOS is scary, since you have to do it in assembler (You have to put the processor in real mode), but I hope to find something which could be used.

Thanks

Matthias

Reply to
bram4

Sorry I meant protected mode. Needed to address more than 1MB of RAM. Matthias

Reply to
bram4