What does "unlock" for vcrs mean?

I found a web forum with posts from people asking how to unlock brands of VCRs. I found the code for my VCR, did it, and got the message that the VCR was now unlocked.

But what does that actually mean? How does that benefit me, if at all?

Thanks.

Scott

Reply to
Scott Ehrlich

Anti-theft (hahahahaha) code - means that if the VCR is deprived of mains power for more than an hour or so, it needs the code entered for it to work again. The bane of many a VCR engineer!

I usually use my Mark 1 LART to deal with those people who insist on selling me a machine where they forgot to disable said code, requiring me to phone up and ask!!!! ;-)

(LART=Luser Attitude Readjustment Tool, typically a 2-by-4 or similar)

Reply to
Andre