Re: battlefield Internet (was: Stryker/C-130 Pics)

------------------------ We're talking life of the universe now using more computers than the number of atoms in the big bang!

-Steve

--
-Steve Walz  rstevew@armory.com   ftp://ftp.armory.com/pub/user/rstevew
Electronics Site!! 1000's of Files and Dirs!!  With Schematics Galore!!

and Govts have a little more money and slightly better machines for the task.

Reply to
L'acrobat

------------------ BUT NOT a billion trillion times more, which is just about right. (~10^22)

-Steve

--
-Steve Walz  rstevew@armory.com   ftp://ftp.armory.com/pub/user/rstevew
Electronics Site!! 1000's of Files and Dirs!!  With Schematics Galore!!
http://www.armory.com/~rstevew or http://www.armory.com/~rstevew/Public
Reply to
R. Steve Walz

There were atoms in the Big Bang? That should come as a surprise to science!

Dave

Reply to
Dave Holford

prize

Just like nobody could do the amount of computations needed to crack the good admirals codes.

Yet they did. the ONLY constant in crypto is idiots like yourself being proved wrong. always.

Reply to
L'acrobat

Hmm, not very limiting. Atoms come significantly after the big bang.

Reply to
John Keeney

If you think that throwing money and machines at the problem will crack a 2048 bit assymetric cipher, you nare a complete and utter fool who knows nothing, I repeat *nothing* about encryption.

phil hunt

----------------------------- Indeed we DO know PRECISELY the kind of computing power required, it falls right out of the procedure of the RSA algorithm itself. Anyone who has studied it can tell you to the Megaflop how much and how long it takes statistically for a given key length.

Why are you still on about Doenitz? He didn't even DO any math.

----------------------- You're blathering some mystical true-believerism that makes you pitiful.

-Steve

--
-Steve Walz  rstevew@armory.com   ftp://ftp.armory.com/pub/user/rstevew
Electronics Site!! 1000's of Files and Dirs!!  With Schematics Galore!!
http://www.armory.com/~rstevew or http://www.armory.com/~rstevew/Public
Reply to
R. Steve Walz

------------ You don't even understand the math, go the f*ck away and be pitiful.

-Steve

--
-Steve Walz  rstevew@armory.com   ftp://ftp.armory.com/pub/user/rstevew
Electronics Site!! 1000's of Files and Dirs!!  With Schematics Galore!!
http://www.armory.com/~rstevew or http://www.armory.com/~rstevew/Public
Reply to
R. Steve Walz

Sorry, Steve, have to correct you here. Colossus had nothing to do with Enigma, it was used on the Lorenz pseudo-random (more pseudo than random to quote Tony Sale) teletype encryptor. (Codename Fish)

I've seen the replica running. The paper tape reader is awesome. 5000 characters a second.

The machines used on Enigma were called Bombes.

--
Then there's duct tape ...
              (Garrison Keillor)

Seconded.

BTW, how many silicon atoms are there in the universe?

:-)

--
Then there's duct tape ...
              (Garrison Keillor)
nofr@sbhevre.pbzchyvax.pb.hx
Reply to
Fred Abse

You forgot Bruce Schneier.

And (taking a bit of a liberty), Claude Elwood Shannon (RIP).

--
Then there's duct tape ...
              (Garrison Keillor)
nofr@sbhevre.pbzchyvax.pb.hx
Reply to
Fred Abse

------------- Ooops, sorry, you're right, but the Lorenz was a machine that used the same basic principle as Enigma.

------------- True, thanks for that!

-Steve

--
-Steve Walz  rstevew@armory.com   ftp://ftp.armory.com/pub/user/rstevew
Electronics Site!! 1000's of Files and Dirs!!  With Schematics Galore!!
http://www.armory.com/~rstevew or http://www.armory.com/~rstevew/Public
Reply to
R. Steve Walz

------------ Yes, this all comes out of Claude's signal theory. And a couple others as well!

-Steve

--
-Steve Walz  rstevew@armory.com   ftp://ftp.armory.com/pub/user/rstevew
Electronics Site!! 1000's of Files and Dirs!!  With Schematics Galore!!
http://www.armory.com/~rstevew or http://www.armory.com/~rstevew/Public
Reply to
R. Steve Walz

machines).

the

And right.

Reply to
L'acrobat

Well, I guess you ought to inform Congress that the NSA is a sham, then.

Brooks

Reply to
Kevin Brooks

-------------------- You have said precisely nothing contentful.

You're merely spoiling for flame without even owning a brain.

-Steve