microwave blowout

Yesterday, in a cafeteria, I decided to hard boil an egg in a microwave oven (which I never tried hitherto), a minimum size unit. I half filled a standard paper coffee cup with water, sufficient to immerse the egg. Timer set for 3 min.

I left for a few minutes. Upon return, a disaster of Hurricane Sandy magnitude! Door open, cup split, and a HOLE in the oven floor!

of the Maxwell eqs., modified for quantum field theory, with boundary conditions, accounting for the field potentials and molecular dynamics of egg chemistry.

--
Rich
Reply to

I left for a few minutes. Upon return, a disaster of Hurricane Sandy magnitude! Door open, cup split, and a HOLE in the oven floor!

of the Maxwell eqs., modified for quantum field theory, with boundary conditions, accounting for the field potentials and molecular dynamics of egg chemistry.

--
Rich

Can not explain it,but have been told never to put an egg in the shell ,
hard boiled or not in the microwave.
Reply to
Ralph Mowery

even out of its shell it's risky.

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

you've got a spheroid shell that can withstand significant pressure albumen which has interesting properties when cooked and seems undergo violent composition when overheated

next time boil the water, then place the egg in it and leave it outside of the microwave.

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

Ralph Mowery prodded the keyboard with:

Always perforate the egg shell with a needle before attempting to cook it in a microwave !

--
Best Regards:
                      Baron.

Better yet - never, under any circumstances, put an in-the-shell egg into a microwave. You can poke all the holes in it you like, it'll make very little difference. Since the hole is going to "expose" the white, that's pretty near a guarantee that's where it will cook first, and thereby seal the hole. Once that happens, the steam buildup will cause a rather nice explosion - PERHAPS enough to do *SOME* of what the OP claimed, though I have my doubts. I've seen bullets fired at old microwave ovens that didn't manage to punch through the cooking cavity. Blowing the door open, I can see. Splitting the cup is trivial - a couple kernels of popcorn could do that. Blowing a hole in the metal... I ain't buying that no matter how low the price. Lets be kind and say that I suspect someone is employing a bit of exaggeration for dramatic effect.

--
Security provided by Mssrs Smith and/or Wesson. Brought to you by the letter Q
Reply to

My mother did that, it took a lot of cleaning afterwards.

I think it's because the shell is sealed. even microwaving in containers,= =20 they tell you to leave a space for venting. I have a microwave bowl with= =20 a nice lid that fits tight, and if I forget to take it off once the water= =20 in the Kraft Dinner or rice has gotten up to boiling, chances are good the= =20 lid will be ejected off the bowl, and some of the water inside the bowl=20 that forced the lid off will end up all over the microwave oven.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

On 28 Jan 2016 11:44:43 GMT Jasen Betts wrote in Message id: :

Why is that? I do that all the time cooking eggs for my dogs. Nothing bad has happened so far.

Reply to
JW

dunno for sure why, just had to deal with the mess.

I B'LEVE that after it's solid the white forms a closed cell gel, if you get that hot enough the trapped water makes enough pressure to rupture the gel structure and it and it flash boils in some sort of chain reaction.

Whatever, it goes "bang" and knocks the ceiling of the oven off its mounting clips.

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

My first few MOs were freebies because the dielectric window on the end of the waveguide had arced - I just removed the dielectric and used them.

In my case the exploding egg trick was deliberate - I wanted to see it for myself.

A chunk of exploded egg landed in the end of the waveguide and the overload caused shorted turns on the mains transformer.

Reply to
Ian Field

You can superheat water in a microwave - which tends to erupt violently when you drop something in it.

Maybe someone can try that with an egg and let me know what happens.

You can make very frothy coffee that way - but there's only 1/3 cup left after its erupted.

Reply to
Ian Field