TV's in hard rubbish

It is hard rubbish time around town and I have noticed a lot of old TV's that have been cracked open and left with the screen down and the back case to the side. I get the idea that someone has done this to remove a component that is either reusable or recyclable. Any idea what is going on?

--
:-P
Reply to

Are the copper deflection coils still in place?

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

That's it! How much coin would you guess copper deflection coils are worth each unit?

--
:-P
Reply to

Despite the cost of copper, its value is SFA in its laminated state - maybe a few dollars? Certainly far less than could justify driving (or even walking) around cracking TVs open.

--
Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom

as I recall there's only a few hundered grams of copper in there so I'm thinking "a few dollars".

If you get there first you can weigh the copper and do the math.

--
umop apisdn

Jasen Betts

"Bob Milutinovic"

** Err - per kilogram maybe.

Take about 10 average sized yokes to get that.

** Beats collecting aluminium cans at 0.5 cents each.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Our area has a "healthy"(been going for over a decade) scrap metal recycling activity of guys in cars with trailers circling the streets and collecting every piece of metal from kerbside that they can.

About three years ago, Smorgons was paying $1.??/kg for domestic aluminium (cans) and $1.45/kg for extruded aluminium, but only $50/ton in ton lots for iron. They scrap yard guy was of the opinion that he couldn't see how they make any money as they had to bring in a number of loads for each ton.

I think copper was $1.35/kg at the time. Suppossedly the prices have dropped since then, but I no longer acculmulating scrap the way I was. It was/is a good way to get rid of cases from old computers.

Reply to
news13

Still sounds like a lot of work for little money.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

A couple of months back my local scrappy said bright copper was worth $3+ / kg

Power cord from appliances with plugs cut off were $1.50 / kg

I got about $60 for a uteload of steel & scrap ally & some old vehicle batteries.

Reply to
Kennedy

Last year one of my neighbours tossed out some pizzabox servers. He had written on them "working - disks removed". Somebody came along and smashed off the CPU heatsinks, which were all copper. I am surprised they knew that as most of them seem to be retarded white trash bogans driving rusted utes and vans.

Reply to
116e32s