Making a hole in a flat panel display (literally)

I posted this initially to one of the other newsgroups, and someone kindly suggested that this was probably a better forum...

This will sound very strange, I know, but I need to be able to display images in a situation where the display surrounds a tube about 8mm in diameter. Constructions with back-projection and so forth are probably possible, but I wondered about using a flat panel display. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about the construction of flat panel displays to answer my own question which is ...

Can one bore a hole (laser cutter, diamond drill or anything else) through a flat panel display and still have the intact part of the display working ... or will the hole destroy the electrical connections to other parts of the screen?

Cheers,

-- Mark R. Diamond

Reply to
DIAMOND Mark R.

This was a totally UNBELIEVABLE question until I saw the dot.au-LOL.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

With a standard display, this won't work. While it should be possible to design a display with a hole in the middle, I suspect the cost would be prohibitive for low-volume use.

I would think about using a projected display, as you mentioned, probably with two sources, one on each side of the tube, possibly with a vane to confine each source to the proper display area.

Thad

Reply to
Thad Smith

my

Basic answer. No. It depends on the sort of display you have in mind. Normal LCD's (as opposed to TFT etc.), can be bought in custom shapes quite cheaply, even for fairly small runs. With these, the shaped areas for the display, can be printed to go round holes etc.. These allow good contrast ranges (depending on the technology chosen), but normally fairly slow update rates, and a limited number of actual 'segments'. The graphic displays used on laptops etc., all use some form of 'matrix' scanning, to keep the number of connections down. Hence a hole in these, will destroy the matrix connections in all the columns and rows crossed.

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett

Unbelievable question!!! YOU WILL DESTROY IT!

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG ========================================= WebPage

Electronics

This will sound very strange, I know, but I need to be able to display images in a situation where the display surrounds a tube about 8mm in diameter. Constructions with back-projection and so forth are probably possible, but I wondered about using a flat panel display. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about the construction of flat panel displays to answer my own question which is ...

Can one bore a hole (laser cutter, diamond drill or anything else) through a flat panel display and still have the intact part of the display working ... or will the hole destroy the electrical connections to other parts of the screen?

Cheers,

-- Mark R. Diamond

Reply to
Jerry G.

That would depend entirely on how the particular panel being used was wired. As a general-purpose answer, I would say "no, can't be done".

Good luck trying to get the people who make the things to tell you what the "guts" of the panel looks like. Most outfits who do this sort of manufacturing are *VERY* secretive about stuff like that, so the best answer you're likely to get is "That's proprietary information."

It *MAY* be possible to get a panel custom-built with a hole in the middle, but you can bet it'll cost you dearly.

Out of curiousity, why do you want a rod sticking out of the display??? That's the part I can't figure out...

--
Don Bruder -  dakidd@sonic.net
Reply to

NO

Put a glass/plastic window in front with hole/rod mounted to it

my

Willy Wanka

Besides there is a problem with the liquid between the glass plates - it will flow out, go bad, or whatever.

And the cutting will likely change the distance between the plates. That distance is very small, but the display is quite sensitive to it (try pushing one gently).

Thomas

Reply to
Zak

Well, I HAVE seen laptops that had part of the display experience some trauma, so that a chunk of it didn't work. The rest of the screen looked fine. So, I guess you could try it.

However, look at this from a cost-analysis point of view. Assuming the display you're talking about isn't large, you can get cheap LCD projectors these days for about twice the price of an LCD screen. You could go ahead and use the projector and frosted glass, you know it'll work. Or, you could try an LCD first: either you win and the project costs 50% of the projector solution, or you lose and the project costs 150% of the projector solution because you'll have to buy the projector anyway. Odds are high that you will lose, so you should take the sure thing and save your money.

Would a projection TV fit your application? The screen is nothing more than a piece of plastic which could easily be drilled through. Though I wouldn't guess as to the shadows cast internally.

Reply to
Garrett Mace

"DIAMOND Mark R." schreef in bericht news:buguco$o1j$ snipped-for-privacy@enyo.uwa.edu.au...

my

yes

and still have the intact part of the display working ...

no

yes

You'll also destroy some of the mechanics, physics, chemics and (maybe) more.

petrus

petrus bitbyter
[snip...snip...]

As a gauge cluster around a steering wheel for a driving simulator? Mount it all in a Formula One style cowling, add pedals and BIG speakers (or at least a good woofer).

The graphics would be pretty easy to handle as a single XVGA display panel. Using something like 1/4 VGA embedded-style displays positioned around the shaft would work but would require a bit more work for the display controllers.

(Follow-ups set to s.e.b)

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to

I can't see a steering wheel (in a simulator or otherwise) being mounted on an 8mm rod.

(Follow-up un-set. Not everybody reads the same selection of newsgroups you do, Rich. Some of us operate on servers that have never even heard of some of the newsgroups you take for granted, and don't appreciate it even a little when a cross-posted thread we're following "vanishes" into some other newsgroup we can't see, let alone read, due to somebody else trying to play net-cop and redirecting it elsewhere.)

--
Don Bruder -  dakidd@sonic.net
Reply to

You coldn't just attach the tube with an adhesive?

Mac

Reply to
Mac

Why? There may be other options.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

all

down.

I've seen watches with mechanical hands, with the seconds displayed on the background, in large digits. Hole in the lcd. Not the same as drilling a hole in a graphical matrix lcd, of course.

Here are a few:

Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'x' and 'invalid' when replying by email)
Reply to
Frank Bemelman

The first thing that came to my mind, given an 8mm tube, is some kind of elaborate squirting flower style practical joke. I guess that shows something about the state of my mind.

Reply to
Bill Sudbrink

I thought of a video game that would automatically shoot the loser in the head with a 0.22 hollow point slug.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

"Spehro Pefhany" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

kindly

It would be nice to have a screen with a small hole and a pinhole camera behind it. For videophones. With the off-axis camera's the only reasonable compromise one can make is to act like Ben Turpin.

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'x' and 'invalid' when replying by email)
Reply to
Frank Bemelman

I thought of some kind of meter with a programmable face. Mount it in your car, and you can tell the officer "But sir, I wasn't going a hair over eggplant! Maybe as high as dodecahedron to pass a truck, but never as high as pelican!" And the fuel gauge goes from Britney Spears to Stephen Hawking.

Reply to
Garrett Mace

I don't know how much this is legal boiler-plate, but service manuals for laptops and the like are very clear about not getting the liquid crystal on you if damage makes it leak out. Another good reason not to drill holes in it!

Does anyone know what class of nastyness the LC belongs to?

Alex

Reply to
Alex Bird