LCD monitor problem

Hi,

I have a Sony 18" LCD monitor. (model SDM-S81) The monitor shows the darkest black areas as grey or sometimes a grainy green or dark blue. The green/blue usually shows up when it's going from normal to grey.

Other colors are normal - even when the black is grey or turning to grey. Black text on a white page looks nearly normal. The screen image is always stable - there is no flickering.

I do not believe it is the backlight since the image is still bright and clear.

If the monitor is left off for a number of days it may return to normal for a few hours. But, it also has returned to normal after being on all day.

Any ideas about what may be causing this?

Thanks.

Reply to
DP

Have you tried your PC on another monitor? To me it looks like it might be a graphics card problem. Perhaps the fan on the graphics card is full of dust?

Reply to
CWatters

"CWatters" wrote in news:44f5daa2$0$3596$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader04.plus.net:

I have hooked it up to my laptop and the result is the same. Even if the monitor is not connected to anything the screen is grey.

Reply to
DP

What's really wierd is that it appears to be just pure black that goes green - eg not dark grey. Sounds like a digital fault rather than an analog one - hence my comment about the graphics card - but it's not that if you tried it on another pc..

Reply to
CWatters

"CWatters" wrote in news:44f88869$0$2687$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net:

...and - of course - this happened 2-3 months after the 3-year warranty expired.

Reply to
DP

Most likely there are some components that have become thermo sensitive, and are changing characteristics with temperature and they are warming up. With proper troubleshooting the defective parts can be located. The problem will be if the defective part is not a generic type, the original will have to be ordered from Sony. They may not sell computer monitor parts to non authorized servicers. The service manual may be essential to work on your monitor.

Considering that the circuit boards in the monitor are using high density SMD technology, depending on the fault, it may be more practical to change the complete defective board. As for the cost of servicing the monitor out of warranty, it may not be feasible.

--

JANA _____

I have a Sony 18" LCD monitor. (model SDM-S81) The monitor shows the darkest black areas as grey or sometimes a grainy green or dark blue. The green/blue usually shows up when it's going from normal to grey.

Other colors are normal - even when the black is grey or turning to grey. Black text on a white page looks nearly normal. The screen image is always stable - there is no flickering.

I do not believe it is the backlight since the image is still bright and clear.

If the monitor is left off for a number of days it may return to normal for a few hours. But, it also has returned to normal after being on all day.

Any ideas about what may be causing this?

Thanks.

Reply to
JANA

I woulf assume that Sony is like all other LCD monitor makers and offer no internal parts. Sounds like you live with it or give it so someone who does not care about the color problem and buy a new one.

Dan

for

Reply to
Dan Fraser

"Dan Fraser" wrote in news:cDKKg.14641$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net:

I was hoping some tech would have seen this problem before and knew the cure was either a simple one that could be fixed with common replacement parts...or that the fix was major and would end up costing more than a new screen.

Reply to
DP