Isn't this a Contradiction in Terms? IBM Dishes Out Small, Low-Power Supercomputer

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 06:20:14 -0800, the highly esteemed Watson A. Name - "Watt Sun, Dark Remover" enlightened us with these pearls of wisdom:

My system isn't a server, its a workstation. I installed the latest kernel to get all the latest features. This is seldom necessary for a server, where all you are concerned with is stability, security, and that it does the job. If all of these criteria are met, there is no real reason to install a newer kernel, and some good reasons not to. The older kernels continue to be tested and monitored, so they are usually going to be a bit better in terms of security and stability - which is why these systems have such long uptime and haven't been hacked. You are mistaking *nix systems for being like Windows, where you have to "upgrade" frequently to fix bugs or gaping security holes.

--
Greg

  --The software said it requires Win2000 or better, so I installed Linux.
Reply to
Greg Pierce

Big? The Dec floppies were 8". A dual drive with unibus interface used to cost about 4 grand.

John

Picky, picky. Consider the statement to be a shortened version of "a block of data is not a list of instructions." Or, if you prefer, DON'T EXECUTE BUFFERS, DAMMIT!

John

Try quoting the file names ie

ren "xxx*.ext" "yyy*.ext"

otherwise the file names get mangled into 8.3 format. That should work unless the combined file name and path length exceeds 128 chars---the whole thing is a PITA.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Cukr

screens,

If it's windows, simply reinstall it over the present installation. Should correct whatever is wrong. I've done that twice this year just as a precaution. I hate to wait until it goes completely. Do it each time you begin to see subtle discrepencies in operation. A .DLL cleaner will help too. There are free ones and cheap ones that do the job nicely. Also a Registry Cleaner will get rid of entries from software that has been uninstalled and merely marked as unused.

Bill @ GarberStreet Enterprizez };-) Web Site -

Email - snipped-for-privacy@comXcast.net Remove - SPAM and X to contact me

--
This email ain't infected, dude!

Bill Garber

Idea that WHO had??? Maybe Steve Jobs or maybe somebody at Xerox, but it definitely wasn't Bill's idea.

--
-Reply in group, but if emailing add 2 more zeros-
-and remove the obvious-

I read in sci.electronics.design that Bill Garber wrote (in ) about 'Isn't this a Contradiction in Terms? IBM Dishes Out Small, Low- Power Supercomputer', on Sun, 16 Nov 2003:

How do you re-install all the upgrades and patches? I had to do it once and it took 6 hours to get all the stuff from the Net to fix the original files from the CD-ROM.

http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!
Reply to
John Woodgate

I skip all the updates, upgrades, and patches. I find they crash my system more than if I simply use the base system from the installation CD. If the original recognizes all your hardware, then you need no upgrades or patches. If it doesn't, then your hardware should have come with a driver disk. Be sure to use the original OEM installation CD, not a copy. Copies will not work properly.

Bill @ GarberStreet Enterprizez };-) Web Site -

Email - snipped-for-privacy@comXcast.net Remove - SPAM and X to contact me

--
This email ain't infected, dude!

Bill Garber

In article , snipped-for-privacy@massnet1.net mentioned...

Yeah, thanks. I think when I tried that, the files got changed to the ~1 on the end. I'm not sure, I'll have to try it again.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###

In article , snipped-for-privacy@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat mentioned...

I'm beginning go get to the point where I unconsciously, without even thinking, click on ACRORD32.EXE and end task. :-/

And when I run Photoshop, I sometimes have to do it to that, too.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/electronics/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted.  *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers.  Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com  You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html@@t@h@e@@a@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@m@e@e@t@@t@h@e@@E@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@
Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dar

In article , "Mark Jones" mentioned...

But the viewer is a plug-in.

Every time I upgrade Mozilla (which is about once a month lately), it says it removed those plug-ins. So I got tired of putting Djvu back in, and besides, I almost never have to use it anyway. Except for some diehards here who won't go to .PDFs.

I notice that when I end the ACRORD32 task, it sometimes comes up as the full program instead of the plug-in. Which I like, because it doesn't have the lock-up problem.

Maybe it's the OS causing the prob, not the reader. :o)

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/electronics/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted.  *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers.  Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com  You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html@@t@h@e@@a@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@m@e@e@t@@t@h@e@@E@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@
Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dar

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 21:36:38 -0800, John Larkin Gave us:

Data transfers from one motherboard locale to another should also NOT crash the system.

Reply to
DarkMatter

If you don't care about security then you can ignore the patches. I take it you have a substantial firewall and up-to-date anti-virus software. An unpatched Windows box on the net is wide open.

Tim

--
And the beast shall be made legion. Its numbers shall be increased a
thousand thousand fold. The din of a million keyboards like unto a great

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 17:06:58 -0500, "Mark Jones" Gave us:

Mozilla or Firebird. The problem isn't acrobat. It's Billy's Browser... Patches and all.

Reply to
DarkMatter

4) STACK IS NOT INSTRUCTIONS.

Iwo

Reply to
Iwo Mergler

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 09:33:50 +1100, "Damien" Gave us:

Did it ever occur to you that failing to boot points toward a hardware issue?

Reply to
DarkMatter

Quite, I'm not even sure what Ben meant. If he meant a system API then they've been around as long as operating systems. If he meant standard GUI widgets then I imagine Xerox got there first, but perhaps it was Apple or whatever the first wm for XWindows was. If he means that everybody uses Windows then that's not a common OS-interface at all, it's exclusive to Windows *and* it's changed!

Tim

--
And the beast shall be made legion. Its numbers shall be increased a
thousand thousand fold. The din of a million keyboards like unto a great
storm shall cover the earth, and the followers of Mammon shall tremble.
                                             - The Book of Mozilla, 3:31
Reply to
Tim Auton

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 18:29:00 -0500, "Mike Cukr" Gave us:

Not a valid DOS action.

The command you specified does not do what you claim it does.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 05:41:35 -0500, "Bill Garber" Gave us:

You are devoid of any knowledge on the subject, and should refrain from "contributing".

Reply to
DarkMatter

[snip]

Although Mozilla is certainly superior (how did I ever live without tabbed browsing and popup blocking?) I still find Acrobat plays silly buggers with it. It doesn't take the browser with it when it dies, but it still freezes with distressing regularity.

Tim