automatic volume leveling preamp thing?

This probably isn't the correct NG, but it's the only electronics one I read and the posters seem to be mature so I'm not expecting a major flame.. hence I'm going to ask anyway :-)

I have had my computer hooked to an Aiwa midi system for some time.. it works a treat and the massive Sony speakers sound great with it. I only use the Aiwa as an amplifier with it's "t-bass" and "bbe" or whatever turned on full (i.e. so it sounds like a normal amp would if it didn't have these 'features'). The problem though, is that these e.q things seem to be dependant on a good input level. If I have the source (computer) too loud it clips as would be expected, but if it's too quiet the sound is very very dead. (it is this deadness that I want to alleviate without having to turn up the computers sound when I play a song that's recorded quietly)

What I want is some kind of auto-limiter box that'll take the input from my computer turned up full all the time, so it can drop the signal so that it is always at the correct level, thus saving me from having to tweak the computers volume controls all the time so I can just use the master control on the amp.

Does anyone know of such a device? I specifically say that the computer will be turned up full all the time so that the signal is always loud enough, therefore I won't need a device that amplifies an inadequate signal, simply a device that drops the volume.

any ideas? I'm in the UK but I don't think that really matters.

cheers, Carl

Reply to
Carl Farrington

the time

It's called an AGC.

JeffM

Carl Farrington bleeding:

If I understand you correctly: you say that the sound output is either too weak or too loud.

For this case I think you could use Winamp [1] to control the volume/equalizer stuff on the PC side, controlling the volume via Winamp [1].

[1] Or any audio player program that has equalizer controls, Like Winamp on Windows or XMMS on Linux. []s
--
Chaos Master® - Posting from Brazil
MSN: wizard_of_yendor@hotmail.com

well it would be an AGC, but I want something to lower the volume rather than increasing it, so I can leave the computer set "too loud" all the time..

Reply to
Carl Farrington

point being though I have three volume controls on the computer (winamp directsound out, sound card wave and sound card master), as well as the "master" on my amplifier. I want just to use the amplifier.

Reply to
Carl Farrington