Automatic attenuator

I have a lighting device, that reacts to sound (vulgarly called psichedelics). Now my biggest problem is that, from the preamp, not all songs come out at the same level. The light console has a pot (it is homemade) in series with the input, to attenuate the level. What i could use is some sorf of circuit, with a manually selectable threshold, that automatically starts attenuating the signal when this same signal goes above the threshold. I looked at limiters and compressors, but for what i understood these do not apply to my case: the compress the dynamic range, something i want to avoid. I want to apply the same attenuation to all the signal, just to maintan the same mean value. I hope i have stated it clearly enough. Anyone can help me? Thanks Claudio

Reply to
Claudio Carbone

Yes. You need an ACG circuit (Automatic Gain Control)...

Home page...

CWatters

TheDragon

Thanks Claudio

Reply to
Claudio Carbone

======================= Compressors and limiters are synonyms for automatic gain controls. You just want a compressor with adjustable compression ratio and adjustable attack and release time.... like almost all of them have.... set a nice mild compression ration like 2:1... output goes up 1 db when input goes up 2db... set the attack time real long... set the threshold so the gain reduction leds are just operating.... Should hold the volume over a wide range of input levels....

Reply to
BobGardner