Xilinx to Make Image Processing FPGA

I would like to read about any details on the Xilinx Image Processing FPGA which is mentioned in the below press release.

Does anybody know what Xilinx has planned ?

Related press releases below:

[external] Toshiba to make image-processing chips for U.S. firm Xilinx

Dan DeConinck of PixelSmart

As I understand it, this article just mentioned FPGA and Devices which have image processing capabilities. Doesn't mean, there are new FPGA to expect with image processing capabilities ...

" production of FPGA chips, which are used in such products as TV sets and mobile computerized terminals with image-processing features."

And, there is nothing about imaging in the xilinx article ...

So, for you, it is same busines as usual ;-)

just my .0002

Reply to
E.S.

I agree with E.S. 's assessment. The Xilinx press release is clear that this is an extension of their fabless manufacturing strategy, and they are adding another foundry to their list of foundries that manufacture chips for them.

The Forbes article is less clear, because they have latched onto one of the applications for high end FPGAs, and managed to promote it all the way to the article title.

Philip

Reply to
Philip Freidin

Yes, this is very similar to the previous tie up with Lattice and Fujitsu, (also for FPGAs, but that deal included a FLASH process)

- in both cases US companies provide $ignificant $ums, to give the Japanese IC suppliers a leg-up into the newer processes, in return for good price and queue arrangements.

It makes sense, and helps spread the geography of supply.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville