Image processing with DSP's

Interested in opinions and thoughts as to which DSP's might be good/best for real-time image processing. We currently use FPGA's. It would be interesting to learn what can be done with DSP's.

Are there any that have efficient ways to implement such things as FIR filters, for example, or matrix transforms, etc.? How about dealing with SDRAM/DDR SDRAM frame stores? Are there any that can drive RLDRAM? Maybe there's one that particularly well supported with imaging libraries or other IP that can be licensed?

I see such devices as BlackFin, etc. that can hit 800+ MHz. Surely they can do a nice amount of image processing, but, how are they optimized for such tasks and are there some that are a better fit than others.

Thanks,

--
Martin Euredjian

To send private email: