VHDL test bench in Quartus

Is it possible to write a test bench using VHDL in Quartus? When I tried I
got an error message telling me that wait <n> construct is not supported.
Is that true or am I making some mistake? Is there any way, may be using
tcl, I can simulate a VHDL like test bench? Testbench using waveforms just
does not work for me.
Thanks.

Pratip Mukherjee
pratipm.remove snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Re: VHDL test bench in Quartus

No. Use modelsim or sonata.

 -- Mike Treseler

Re: VHDL test bench in Quartus
My guess, is that Quartus only supports synthesizeable VHDL and wait is
not synthesizeable. If I not mistake, you have only the waveform program
to create testbenches,  and so I use Modelsim for my simulations of
Altera-targeted designs.

Salman

Re: VHDL test bench in Quartus
There is something missing in this discussion.  If you are talking about
testbenches, then Quartus can't help you since testbenches are used in
simulations and Quartus is not a VHDL simulator.

I agree that using waveforms to simulate FPGA designs is not desirable.
That is why I write my code to run on either Altera or Xilinx devices
and use the Xilinx Modelsim simulator to test my design.  I then fit the
same design to the Altera devices.

Rick "rickman" Collins

snipped-for-privacy@XYarius.com
Re: VHDL test bench in Quartus

I'd love to hear why.

<...>

Regards,
-rajeev-

Re: VHDL test bench in Quartus

A test bench is not just a static waveform generator, it can be an
interactive environment simulator.  I can write code to model an
external memory or MCU bus cycles or any other interface.  As my design
progresses it can take a lot less work to keep a testbench up to date
than it would to redo waveforms.

Maybe it is just a personal preference, but I find a VHDL testbench to
be the best way of testing a design I have found.

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

snipped-for-privacy@XYarius.com
Re: VHDL test bench in Quartus

If the design has some Altera specific MegaFunction, then don't you have
to have another version of the same file using generic VHDL construct?
Can Xilinx/ModelSim be made to understand Altera specific constructs? I
am talking about the free version of ModelSim which comes with WebPack.
Thanks.

Re: VHDL test bench in Quartus

What MegaFunction are you thinking that I would use?  I have found that
the block rams can be described in generic VHDL.  I expect that any
other feature would be device specific.  One that I will likely end up
using is the cascade chain in the Altera parts, they are useful in wide
input muxes.  I believe I asked about how to get these from generic code
and did not get a good answer from Altera.  So I may have to do as you
are saying and use a conditional depending on the target.  I started to
do that with the memory before I found that both environments worked
well with generic code.  Its not hard to do.