UART master core

Hello,

I have 2 boards, of which one has PPC core and other do not.

[board1 /w PPC]-------uart-------[board2 /wo PPC]

I want to use UART as a debug interface for board2.

So,I am looking for a UART Master core that shall be Maser on the PLB/ OPB bus that I can use it in board2 FPGA.

The Xilinx EDK library provide UART cores that has PLB/OPB interfaces as core side interfaces. But these interfaces are Slave interface.

Do anyone has UART core (Master on PLB/OPB)? Is it advisable to go for such setup?

Thank you.

Best regards, Muthu

Reply to
muthusnv

Hi Muthu,

I do not know if this is the best way to go, this depends on your application requirements. A UART would be a slow way to control the bus on the second board but it may be enough. I also needed something like that mainly for debugging or controlling configuration register from a PC. So, I wrote a small interpreter connected to a UART that can control a BUS in the FPGA. Its not PLB/ OPB compatible but can be modified as required. The interpreter can receive either ASCII commands from a PC Terminal for example or binary format commands which are much more efficient and also support block reading/writing. If you think it might help you please send me an email and I will send you the source files.

Regards, Moti

Reply to
Moti Litochevski