Survey: FPGA PCB layout

Maybe you're missing those receptors in your nose? :-) I've found that phenolic has a much stronger smell than FR-4... not necessarily all that "malodorous" vs. any other common board materials, but definitely a lot more noticeable.

Yep, that is a problem. Have you been to something like IEEE's MTT-S recently? It really is a different world, and unfortunately the same part of our culture that now says you need a BSEE to be an oscilloscope salesman is, I think, what has made it much more difficult for working engineers to enter academia. Becoming a EE professor is now seen as a career in and of itself, rather to the preclusion of of being a "practicing" engineer where you have significant cost constraints.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Sounds like a really nice feature, David -- thanks for the tip.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Possibly :-)

Just went over to the lab and took a sniff. The really old dark versions might have a wee scent but the newer more light boards don't. The shepherd looked at me quite puzzled when I sniffed the boards. So she took a sniff as well but walked away upon dicovering that it ain't edible. If there were a stench she'd have sneezed.

IEEE also needs step onto the real world of engineering, and soon. Else member retention will become a problem.

I'd be interested in teaching once I retire but the bureaucratic hurdles are so high that it might have to be in a more private setting, without academic institutions, colleges or schools involved. I am not going to spend thousands on a teaching credential just to appease some bureaucrat. And the students must be motivated, otherwise I won't do it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Teaching doesn't require much in the way of credentials for university level. Getting on the tenure track is an entirely different matter.

If you want to teach, head off to see the dean of your local university/community college, and ask what they need. Not much money, but it still can be a very satisfying experience.

-Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Harris

[snippage]

You can control edge rates (drive current) on FPGAs, at least the Xilinx families we use. Amazing how simple you can make a DDR2 memory interface to a FPGA with a little thought. We get by with no terminations with beautiful looking signals. That saves a lot of power and board area.

--
Mark
Reply to

There shouldn't be any tenure in the first place. There is a reason why the tenure concept does not exist in industry. Just my humble opinion.

Some day I will, when I throttle back design work and money (hopefully) isn't a big issue. It doesn't have to be any ritzy school as long as the audience is motivated and the school isn't a huge driving distance away.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Doesn't tenure just mean that you have to screw up particularly badly to get fired? And that even after you officially quit teaching/researching you're generally still allowed to come and play in the lab and perhaps have an office? Or is there more to it than that?

I was asked to write a letter of recommendation for a professor I had to turn him from an assistant professor into a full-fledged (and perhaps tenure track?) professor. He's a good teacher so I was happy to do it, but I found it a little odd that the professor in charge of this whole process said, "If you don't feel you can write a letter that presents [this guy] in a positive light, it's OK -- let me know and we'll find someone else." Hmmm....!

These days "distance learning" is becoming quite popular. You could probably host your own classes on more advanced/specialized topics (where they might not be enough people interested to get an actual physical class together in a smaller town), set it up so that everyone gets audio & video and remote students can send back audio (for questions/discussion), charge tuition to cover the conference server feels, your costs and compensation, etc. and be quite successful.

Doug Smith

appears to have done pretty well with his approach of giving away a *significant* amount of useful information for free and then having a subscription service for those who want even more.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Plus probably a nice retirement benefit.

That is strange. Normally they should have known this guy inside out before even offering tenure if that's what his new position entails.

True, but I am a believer in face to face sessions when it comes to explaining EE matters. You can't beat the hands-on training in front of a big scope or analyzer. "Sir, I can't get that dang thang to trigger!"

Yes, his site is indeed excellent. I am surprised IEEE lets him publish his papers. When I wrote papers for IEEE transactions there was a pretty clear statement that you pretty much surrender copyright to them.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I believe they did know him inside and out, were happy with his performance, and that's why it happened: They had already decided they were going to offer him the promotion, but some standard procedure required getting a student evaluation as well... so they had to find someone who was willing to write up a positive one. I just think it's strange that they bother getting a student evaluation when their minds are already made up... since it then puts them in the rather awkward position of having to say, "Please write us a good evaluation, or if you don't feel you can, that's OK, we'll find someone else..." Weird.

Perhaps they'd do better to ask a handful of students to write up objective evaluations without the pressure of "...but, um, it has to be positive?" -- and then culling any that were negative? :-) I suppose they're stuck in a way... being tied to the government (they're a land-grant university) means they have to follow lots of procedures that regular businesses don't.

Regarding the nice retirement packages... my understanding was that state workers ended up with rather cushy retirement packages in exchange for having to accept noticeably below-average salaries (relative to private industry) during their working years. In Oreogn we have the PERS (Public Employee Retirement System) which used to work this way, but the "cushy" benefits were signifcantly reduced via the ballot box when some interested parties pointed out how much better PERS was than what those folks in private industry get. Hence you now have a system where public employee pay still isn't competitive with private industry and now the retirement isn't either! This was a common topic of complaint by the professors (that you'd get to know well enough) when I was in grad school; a significant number left for private industry during that time, and I certainly coudn't blame them.

That being said, I don't know enough to evaluate whether or not public jobs are still attractive when you look at the total package -- some people would argue they are and that PERS benefit reductions were just "corrections" to a system that had become too "generous" in its compensation.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

All I know from here (CA) is that their benefits are mind-boggling. Paid sick leave, fat disability payments where lots of people tried and succeeded to be declared "disabled", cradle-to-grave medical with hardly any co-pay. The latter alone will saddle our communities with previously unheard of debt. Oh, and then lots of jobs have the retirement benefit tied to the last work year. So, folks have themselves transferred into high-cost areas such as the Bay Area for 13 months or so, then move back. That ratchets their monthly checks up substantially, until their dying day. That ain't right.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Well, it's entirely reasonable to have retirement benefits for public employees be comparable to what private companies offer... I just hope that public employee salaries will then become comparable as well (which implies a pay raise), since otherwise I don't see how the gov't. expects they'll get comparable quality out of their workers.

One problem with the government seems to be that they don't expect their employees to be agile over time. See this article:

-- Someone the government ends up with a bunch of 70 year old programmers and therefore has to hire IBM to build them the modernized e-filing systems? Surely there must be some new hires in the past, say, 40 years who could have been working on this and hence, on average, would only be middle-aged today!?

I expect that was implemented to help people who were *forced* to move?

It seems like it needs reworking to differentiate between cases where the government wants to move you vs. you just voluntarily wanting to do so.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I start thinking about how the PCB should be routed the minute I start to draw a schematic. I always draw components with their actual pin-outs. This helps to group pins together and it helps to troubleshoot the circuit when the prototype is on your bench (no need to lookup the pinouts because they are in your diagram).

Whether you should do PCB layout by yourself or hire someone to do it for you depends on if you have the time and talent to design a PCB. After all at high frequencies and / or large currents a PCB becomes a component of your circuit.

--
Programmeren in Almere?
E-mail naar nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)

What does that mean?

Hal Murray

I suspect he means that the schematic symbol he draws have the pins arranged with the same placement as that which occurs on the physical device.

I've drawn some symbols like this at times, as it works OK for small devices, but of course has problems as soon as someone hits the "mirror" button on your symbol... and becomes intractable for devices with hundreds or even thousands of pins.

You sometimes see magazines doing this in beginning electronics articles where they'll have a bunch of logic gates or similar drawn nicely within the DIP rectangle it comes in on top of a solderless breadboard or something so it's crystal clear how the circuit should be wired up.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Mirroring is not allowed ofcourse :-) And yes, it won't work for BGA packages. The largest common QFP device is approx 200 pins which is still workable.

--
Programmeren in Almere?
E-mail naar nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Reply to
Nico Coesel

Private companies generally offer zilch in retirement benefits. Those days are long gone.

A 70 year old programmer can be better than a 40 year old. At least that's my impression when I see all the "modern" bloatware ;-)

Or you just have to have the right connections to make that happen ...

Anyhow, why should retirement checks be based on the last year of service? IMHO that's wrong. For everyone else it sure doesn't work that way.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

For quad opamps like the LM324 as well? That can make a schematic harder to read and will also cause a nightmare if the layouter wants to swap amp A with amp C and stuff like that.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I don't know about "gone". The age of the "defined benefit" is pretty much gone in private industry but several still have "defined contribution" plans. Now, 401Ks make up for a lot of what's been lost and are portable.

up

build

in

Maybe. There are better things to do at 70, though. ;-)

The last years' is indicative of the final salary. Most "defined benefit" plans do take the last year, or last couple of years into account. What most private pensions *don't* do, that public plans do is include overtime in the formula. It's not hard to double one's income for a couple of years. There is no way the tax payer should pay that forever.

--
Keith
Reply to

Sure, but 401(k) is generally funded by the employee. Occasionally the company throws in a little extra but that is mostly a mere drop in the bucket in contrast to the lavish pension plans that cover many state workers.

up

build

in

Yes, definitely. OTOH completely quitting a career has brought many fine engineers into the grave within less than a year. My father who worked as a data processing engineer continued as a consultant and gradually tapered it off. He said that there was a rash of unexpected deaths of otherwise quite healthy colleagues right after retirement, and it was among the group of engineers who shut their careers down more or less overnight after the first retirement check arrived.

But it's happening. And we are all paying for that.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

that

implies a

get

It's quite normal for a company to add significantly to the 401K, sometimes with strings attached, sometimes without. My PPOE had a fairly decent 401K (in addition to pension plans for everyone joining before '06, or so). They matched 1:1 up to 6% of salary (plus bonusus) and had no management fees for the normal funds. I understand it's gotten better since they've dropped the pension plans for the newbs.

up

build

in

I got quite bored, once I wasn't allowed to make messes at home anymore. Good thing that only lasted a week or two. ;-)

work

Precisely. It's not going to get better. The government requires others to have fully funded retirement plans, but would have none of it for themselves.

--
Keith
Reply to