Re: Cheaptest FPGA board for Computer Architecture

> > [1] Gnarly Grey UPDuino v1.0 Board $9.99 delivered

> > 5.3K LUTs, 1Mb SPRAM, 120Kb DPRAM, 8 Multipliers, 34 GPIO on > > 0.1? headers, SPI Flash, RGB LED, 3.3V and 1.2V Regulators > > Gnarly Grey UPDuino v1.0 Board > >
> > Thank you for introducing me to Lattice FPGA. I had been > looking for sources of Lattice Logic FPGA but cannot find any > supplier.
[snip]

Your source seem cheap but transportation cost will kill us.

The boards I have bought are shipped 5000km for free, and one at a time do not attract customs charges.

Its tools are still primitive but if Lattice were to provide > manual routing tools, or anybody else in the ICE project were > to provide manual routing tools, I may reconsider.

The Icestorm tool chain is open source, so could be adapted for layout control, elimination of synthesis tool, and similar custom work.

With manual routing tools, I can see exactly what devices are > to be connected and how they are connected. It will allow me > to optimise my design better. I used to do it for a Xinlink > fpga for an instruction decoder demonstration. > > It was also satisfying to be able to see our components > clearly. The pin planners are too jumbled up and do not > provide much information about devices that are connected.

These chips are so small that maybe you could do this without a GUI, or add a chip layout planner to the tool chain yourself?

Jan Coombs

Reply to
Jan Coombs

You've started 30 years ago... and stayed there.

Reply to
Tomas D.