qemu+ghdl or uml+ghdl hardware-software cosimulation?

Hi All,

I've found a wonderful tool for QEMU+SystemC cosimualtion:

However as my students are more familiar with VHDL, than with SystemC, I'm looking for a similar solution based on VHDL simulator (preferrably GHDL). Has anybody tried to use QEMU or UML (user mode Linux) together with GHDL for hardware-software cosimulation? What is the efficiency of such solution?

-- TIA & Regards, Wojtek Zabolotny

Reply to
wzab

Hi Wojtek,

I might be missing the point here, but why do you want to use such a complex solution for software/hardware co-simulation? Can you just install and run SystemC standalone?

I wouldn't worry to much about the lack of SystemC knowledge since at the low level there is a lot of similarity between SystemC and VHDL (and Verilog). You can easily write SystemC at the "rtl" level but you might loose a lot of performance. Personally, I would give my students a quick course on SystemC. Then for their project work I would show them some standard templates for say FF, FSM's Counters, Instantiations etc and also show them how to write a testbench that dumps some VCD signals. Alternatively, speak to Mentor and see if they can give you a SystemC license for their student edition of Modelsim

In this case you can mix VHDL and SystemC with is very simple :-)

Hans

HT-Lab