hardware vs software MAC

Hi All:

I have been involved in coding network layers and higher layers for quite some now. Nowadays in the "ultra low power" scene I am increasingly seeing MAC layers being coded as hardware state machines instead of being in software. The reason given is coding the MAC in hardware makes it "ultra low power"

I wonder if any of you know of any comparison or study of hardware vs S/W MACs ?

And yes do you guys agree, if MAC in S/W is really power consuming, especially when battery voltages are going lower and micro-Cs are becoming low power too?

regards ashu

Reply to
ashu