FPGA + A/D converter

I am a novoice in FPGAs. My application needs an a/d converter on a FPGA. Is it possible to design an a/d converter on FPGA. I am using Altera Nios FPGA. Any info is appreciated.

Thank you, Srikanth

Reply to
Srikanth Anumalla

--Ray Andraka, P.E. President, the Andraka Consulting Group, Inc.

401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950 email snipped-for-privacy@andraka.com

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Reply to
Ray Andraka

It all depends on the resolution/speed you need. Tracking ADCs, which use a DAC and comparitor, are simple. The DAC can be single pin PWM, or Rate Multiplier - for better performance, external Vcc/Vref, and buffer all help. Gnd and Vcc lines on FPGAs are NOT low noise analog nodes !

Sigma-Delta ADCs are also simple, but need an integrator/Vref/Slice for best performance.

If it is a closed-loop system, where you are more interested in a balance-point than absolute precision/linearity, then the very simple single slope RC ramp can be used. -jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

FPGA. Is

FPGA.

Any ADC on an FPGA is going to require something externally, so why not use a cheap external ADC or a small 8 pin micro with an ADC?

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson   ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com