Anyone really use those opensource CPUs (OR1K, Lattice Mico32, Leon)?

Well it's not new at all, but I've just discovered Yet Another Open Source RISC core -- Lattice's Mico32. It comes with GNU tool-chain (making the software-development side similar to OpenRisc 1200?) and even has a built-in debug-module.

How popular these Opensource cores really are? I know the Opencores EMAC

10/100 gets a lot of use in commercial ASIC projects. But the CPU-cores rarely get the same attention (mostly just academic or government-funded stuff.) Could someone explain why?

Is it their performance (IPC, area, power-consumption)? Is it lack of a supported embedded O/S port?

Reply to
Xilinx User

What's your question exactly - why FPGA cores are not seen more in ASICS ? - I get the impression Leon is doing quite well, in its niche. Mico32 is very new, and is really the first open source FPGA-centric core, so I'd expect it will show up in ASICs.

Would you count a NIOS II licensed for ASIC use, either via the Altera flow, or in a full asic.

Of course, ASIC design starts are a tiny fraction of fpgA design starts, so any core usage in that direction has to be small.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Risk. Spending a couple of hundred k on a CPU with commercial support is not that big a deal if you're making ASICs.

Performance should be pretty comparible to the low-end commerical offerings. Something like Mico32 is very much stripped down to minimize LUT count, so some of the bells ans whistles you'll find in dedicate ASIC CPUs are missing.

Cheers, Jon

Reply to
Jon Beniston

Of course the flip side is when you try to prototype an ASIC CPU in an FPGA. Laughable performance.

Cheers, Jon

Reply to
Jon Beniston

I've also noticed the lm32. It is really well documented. My only objection (but hopefully this will change, i think it is under consideration) is that Lattice provides only Verilog sources (which is the language of preference for me).

A quick sum-up would include: PicoBlaze, MicroBlaze, Nios-II, LatticeMico32, LEON2/3, OpenRISC. It would also be proper to add here some bytecode interpreter engines (most notably JOP), but they are not intended for general-purpose apps.

All the above are 32-bit machines except PicoBlaze. I have added PicoBlaze in the list, because i find it really useful and a very powerful processor for control-oriented applications. It has predictable real-time performance and a large number (up to 256) of i/ o ports. I have recently set up a couple of lab exercises (one with PicoBlaze solo and a second one with a RISC core of mine and a PicoBlaze) and i'm very positive over PicoBlaze.

It is strange but all the above RISC cores have good toolchains so someone would expect a wider adoption (adoption is good for the vertical markets they are intended to for the time being). The positive thing here is that there is no way but up. Embedded processing and FPGAs will grow as CLB counts will rise and power consumption (hopefully) will drop).

And most of the 32-bit cores have at least some kind of support for embedded OSes (RTEMS, uClinux and others even commercial ones like uCOS series).

But finally i donnot understand if there is a question posed here. Do you have to choose between a open core and a closed-source solution. Or are you between using a programmable processor core and using something more customized for your case?

Nikolaos Kavvadias

Reply to
Uncle Noah

Since when were these open source?

Cheers, Jon

Reply to
Jon Beniston

For microblaze since the 11 october 2006 ;)

Sylvain

Reply to
Sylvain Munaut

OK, my apologies for the Microblaze, that was a strange story :) But regarding Nios-II, i think the sources are there, but just not portable across other FPGA architectures. Am I right?

Nikolaos Kavvadias

Reply to
Uncle Noah

Sure, you can buy access to the source in the same way you can buy the source to an ARM. Not quite Open Source though.

I think Xilinx do have HDL source for MicroBlaze, but it isn't that much cheaper than buying a license for a real CPU that comes with support ;-)

Cheers, Jon

Reply to
Jon Beniston

Thanks everyone, for the replies. My question was vague and poorly worded because I don't have a good grasp on what constitutes a "FPGA CPU-core"and an "ASIC CPU-core." Microblaze and Nios-II obviously are architected around the unique device-features of their respective vendors. But when it comes to the Opensource offerrings, I didn't see the same trend (maybe I didn't look close enough?)

Picoblaze -- is that safe for ASIC-use? I was under the impression Xilinx's license-agreement limits it to Xilinx devices only.

Reply to
Xilinx User

I'm not sure about the Picoblaze licensing. Actually, there are at least 2 distinct version of Picoblaze available from Xilinx site. There is a Virtex-2/Spartan-3 optimized version (KCPSM3) that involves Xilinx-specific components (buffers, registers etc), and another version with some differences in the architecture (slightly older instruction set, 8 registers instead of 16) originally devised for CPLDs. However this description is completely portable across different FPGA vendors. For example i have ported this one to XC3S200 with good results (around 170 slices, maybe less i don't recall the exact results).

It would be meaningful for Xilinx to license this more obsolete version in GPL or LGPL sense. Anyone aware of the exact licensing issues with the two different PicoBlaze versions, please jump in.

Nikolaos Kavvadias

Reply to
Uncle Noah

All,

And, the MicroBlaze(tm) uP soft core use agreement stipulates that it is to be used on Xilinx FPGAs, only. We have no incentive to allow its use in an ASIC.

I think for ASIC development, the issue is all risk: as in, there must not be any risk at all. Thus, you see ARM uP's in most low power/low cost ASICs. The 'guarantee' allows one to get real support (which is sadly lacking in open cores). Higher end/higher performance ASICs use MIPs, or the PowerPC.

Recently opencores.org put itself up for sale, and is (effectively) out of business. This is exactly why using open cores represents a huge risk. Since no one has figured out how to make money off open cores, there is no incentive at all to give your hard work away for free.

Additionally, a massive amount of work goes into testing and re-optimizing every core when the technology node changes. Who will pay for that? Who will warrant or guarantee operation? Who supplies the test bench vectors to verify proper operation?

Austin

Reply to
austin

X-User,

PicoBlaze is offered "as - is", and subsequently has no restrictions on its use.

It is in the 'spirit' of an open core, as in, we really do not mind where and how it may be used.

It is also "unsupported" by the Xilinx Support system. If we find something that is a bug, we will fix it, but we do not offer any guarantees about its use, or performance like we do for the MicroBlaze(tm) or PowerPC(tm) processors.

Austin

Reply to
austin

Austin,

it looks like you dont know what you are talking about:

ASFAIK PicoBlaze is under XDL License -

those it is resctricted for the use in Xilinx devices only. => this is not OPEN SOURCE and FREE FOR ANY USE !

so if you dont care in what silicon it is used thats fine, but officially Xilinx lawers could prevent ASICs with PicoBlaze inside from being used.

or is there any other way to understand the XDL terms?

Antti

Reply to
Antti

You certainly used to have the option. I was even quoted a price.

Cheers, Jon

Reply to
Jon Beniston

Antti,

In the user guide I pointed to, there is no reference to any agreement.

Your link points to the use agreement. It is not specific to anything. It has to be specifically stated in each and every document that the use agreement applies, and how it applies.

I did find one reference to "use within a Xilinx FPGA" in one of the .pdf marketing documents, but that reference did not provide any details, nor any restrictions.

I suspect that one .pdf document is not considered binding, or legal, as it does not refer to any "real" agreement (like the link you provide).

One sentence like "use within a Xilinx FPGA" is more of a desire to keep the PicoBlaze 'in the family....' than any kind of binding legal use agreement.

I will go ahead and ask,

Aust> >> X-User,

Reply to
austin

Jon,

If you ask, we reserve the right to change anything and everything, for a price.

It is called "being in business."

Austin

Reply to
austin

MB VHDL license was some 19KUSD as much as i recall..

Antti

Reply to
Antti

Is the MicroBlaze source code license.

Austin

Reply to
austin

Antti,

You are right, I am wrong.

To get the source code, you have to agree to a license, which states that the code is only to be used in a Xilinx device.

I suppose that the only reason why we have this restriction is to "protect" designs in FPGAs from migrating to ASICs.

Austin

Reply to
austin