Want insight on Compact Flash Standard

The compactflash standard a( or compactflash + standard which is more
appropriate), is a standard for the ultra-small, removable data storage
system and additional card functionality including magnetic disk drive data
storage and I/O cards such as ethernet, serial, fax/modem, digital phone
card, USB, barcode scanner, Bluetooth, 802.11b wireless LAN, wireless
digital cell phone cards, etc.
http://www.compactflash.org /

For now the compactflash peripherals seem quite popular for PDA device, like
PCMCIA for a few years ago, despite they are very similar.

I would like to get your opinions on the following questions:
Do you think in the next couple of years,  the compactflash standard is
likely to get more popular, or to become obsolete and being replaced by
another standard? Do you know any opponents of CF standard, either current
or potential, can replace CF standard in the future?

It is a very open-mind question, and any opinion will be highly regarded.

Thanks.

Johnson

Re: Want insight on Compact Flash Standard
is
by
current

It seems to me that the USB memory stick will be the prevalent memory
device in the coming five or ten years. CF has too many pins, which
makes it more expensive and more vulnerable. Also USB will fit
anywhere, while CF will always need special add-ons. CF was good for
digital cameras, but there it is now replaced by SD-Cards. I would'nt
expect any substantial growth for CF.

Re: Want insight on Compact Flash Standard
Nice view!

Re: Want insight on Compact Flash Standard
Hello, Mike,

Could you please let me know why most of current PDAs do not support USB
port?

Thanks.

Johnson

Re: Want insight on Compact Flash Standard

Johnson,

    This is the type of question that is asked by someone who has never
looked into what a USB anything is.

    So a simple answer:

    USB is a master / slave interface.

    The PC/MAC is a master and everything else is a slave.
    ( this includes disk drives and scanner/camera devices)

    So a PDA has to be a master.

    Until very recently, master chips for embedded application did not exist.

    Now, go look up USB.

hamilton

Re: Want insight on Compact Flash Standard

Posting a question on a newsgroup *is* looking it up.

--
Joe Legris

Re: Want insight on Compact Flash Standard

Not entirely correct. USB-on-the-go (http://www.usb.org/developers/onthego /)
provides a peer-to-peer connection between what otherwise would be slave
devices.

Re: Want insight on Compact Flash Standard

    I wonder how many embedded devices use this technology ??

    Does anyone know what devices use which chips ?

hamilton

Re: Want insight on Compact Flash Standard
USB
Hello Johnson,

good question. It might be too early. I still use a Palm IIIx, even
without CF or SD card slot, but if I were looking for a new PDA, I
would certainly want one or two USB ports. It would allow to connect
keyboard and mouse, it would permit to copy images from a camera,
connect a printer and transfer data to a PC. Also intelligent
peripherals like a GPS receiver could be easily connected. Maybe it is
just wishful thinking, but I don't see any better alternative for PDAs.
Michael

Re: Want insight on Compact Flash Standard

USB slaves are easy to make/program and require few
resources on the target.

USB hosts (masters) are complex and resource hungry.

(Read: expensive)

Microsoft doesn't mind squandering your computers
resources on the host protocol, which is probably the
main reason it (USB) became so ubiquitous.

Rufus

Re: Want insight on Compact Flash Standard

Do you think WinCE PDA and Palm OS PDA will adopt USB master in the near
future?

Thanks.

Johnson

Re: Want insight on Compact Flash Standard
Wouldn't surprise me.

However, my crystal ball says you are more likely
to get bluetooth or wifi in the pda which could
communicate to an offboard USB master.

Of course, the offboard master will pboably cost
what your PDA did...

USB

Re: Want insight on Compact Flash Standard

I think it is fair to assume that since most WinCE PDAs are using the Intel
PXA
series, you can figure out what is coming by looking at what is in the
latest PXA chip!

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson   ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com

standard
replaced

CF will always be around for PDA/embedded systems, simply because it's
faster (16 bits) and easier to design with.

I have not seen any camera (USB master) with USB memory.

Actually, newer camers are using xD (which is reincarnated SM) instead
of
SD.  SD is deadend without suports from camera makers.

The highest capacity memories are CFs (4G & 8G).  I think most
manufactures disagree with you.

Site Timeline