Some problems related to MTBF calculations

i have a few problems related to MTBF. can pls someone explain the solutions to me.. and if possible can anyone suggest some online reading material regarding these things? i am totally new in this field and i have no prior experience in this type of calculations. I know basic statistics though, if someone can translate those geeky problems in more mathematical terms then it ll be of great help..

  1. A computer is being used as a server for a website. It has an MTBF of 15,000 hours. Maintenance personnel for the server are available only from 7AM to 7PM, Monday through Friday. Assume the website is fully operational at 7PM on each Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday afternoon. What are the probabilities the website will be operating at 7AM on the mornings of: a) Monday, b) Tuesday, c) Wednesday, d) Thursday, e) Friday, f) Saturday, and g) Sunday?

  1. A car lighting system consists of two headlights (MTBF of each is

10,000 hours) and two taillights (MTBF of each is 15,000 hours). To be considered fully operational all four lights have to be operable. To be minimally operational at least one headlight and one taillight must be operational. (In other words, in the event of light failure, we may drive a short distance home or to an auto service center so long as we have at least one headlight and at least one taillight working. If both headlights or both taillights fail we must pull over immediately and call for roadside assistance.) What is the MTBF for the car lighting system for fully operational? What is the MTBF for minimally operational?

  1. Assume a secured entry system has an MTBF for being =93fully operational=94 of 1000 hours and for being =93minimally operational=94 of

10,000 hours, and that maintenance personnel are available only during normal business hours (7AM =96 5PM, Monday through Friday, not including holidays). What is the probability the secured entry system will have full operational capability at 7AM Monday morning after having no maintenance since 5PM Friday? That it will have at least minimal operational capability at 7AM Monday morning? What are the corresponding numbers for return to work after a three-day weekend if a holiday falls on a Friday or a Monday?
Reply to
bst0602

Disclaimer: don't take me as much of an authority. I've worked with folks who have to do MTBF calculations and I poked my nose in their business a few times, but I have no formal training. I'll try to keep to things that I know to be true, but I may use odd terms and I can almost guarantee you that my approach will be unorthodox.

MTBF is more or less the reciprocal of the "real" parameter it work, which is the probability density per unit time that a failure will occur. Failures are assumed to happen due to a Poisson process (or set thereof) (so if you look up Poisson process you should find some useful reading).

I was going to say something brilliant about the Poisson process, but I find that I can't remember the details of how to calculate anything. Basically you start by making the assertion that for some short time interval T that the probability of a failure happening in that interval is T / MTBF -- this approximation holds for T

  1. So for T = 1 hour and MTBF = 10000 hours, the probability of a single failure in that hour is about 1/10000, the probability of two failures in that hour is about 1e-8, etc. For a 10000-hour chunk of time, you make this into a binomial distribution with P_1 = 1/10000, so P_0 has to be
9999/10000, then you do all the math.

So: this is vague and incomplete, but I hope it helps.

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Tim Wescott

thanks tim

i needed someone who 'd translate this into common probability language. probably i can understand what u wanted to say.... :)

Reply to
bst0602

I assume you've tried reading the set books for your course? Paying attention during lectures helps too.

Also try learning to write proper sentences (perhaps English is not your native language, in which case grammar mistakes will be forgiven), learn about some basic punctuation and capital letters, and drop the childish SMS abbreviations.

That's a nice trick question to fool students who don't understand basic probability...

Reply to
David Brown

We have sympathies for you.

Well, Tim Wescott probably made his best. While most of us are probably engineers and not mathematicians I have to add a few comments...

I don't thing you have enough information here. Anyone doing maintenance? MTTR?

I don't think you can calculate this. Probability of failure does not have a uniform distribution. It's more likely when the lamps are new, after that initial time probability if failure is very low for a long time and then increases again as the filement gets consumed.

Reply to
nobody

can we solve these if we assume MTBF=1/failure rate and leave out all those practical problems.. [cause at the end of the day its just another assignment]

Reply to
bst0602

yes

w..

Reply to
Walter Banks

Clearly they're textbook problems; from the way they were worded I think you can assume that MTTR = 0, and MTBF is constant. (Presumably those come in a later chapter :-).

Most of the MTBF calculations I've seen are for the bottom of the bathtub; if you're selling something on it's MTBF then you're assumed to have done any necessary burn-in to proof the system against infant mortality, and if there are any wear-out mechanisms then you're supposed to state the MTTF of the wear components, or sell the system with a maintenance schedule that keeps the wear-out components replaced so you stay on the bottom of the bathtub.

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Tim Wescott

yeah i assumed MTTR =0

otherwise there was no way of doin those problems

Reply to
bst0602

Actually, that's not correct either. Go back and read the questions again.

Also, could you provide a link to the course's syllabus, the on-line notes, or your instructor's e-mail? It would be handy to have an idea how much you've already covered in the course.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

There is no MTTR given for the case where the repair guy is standing there and the equipment is broken. You have to assume some number, the implicit assumption is that Jensen Tools is now selling magic wands and the repair guy's name is Hermione Granger.

But yes, you can calculate the part of the MTTR that comes from Hermione's availability (presumably she hasn't gotten another Time Twister).

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Tim Wescott

For sufficient values of "guy." ;-)

As I read it, though (with some assumptions, since the OP hasn't come back with a link to the syllabus) the questions can all be answered as either time to first failure or with no repair performed, as appropriate, with the equipment created de novo at the start of the question. I'd *guess* that's what they're looking for, at least.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

basically i ve already solved the problems, though the answers are compromised theoretically, that was what the instructor needed.. anyway thanks 4 all the helps, guys.. Thiswas my first USENET thread, and the response i got here was simply amazing..

ciao..

Reply to
bst0602

@ Tim, thats exactly what we had to assume if these were practical problems, and as they r not, why disturb Hermione? :)

Reply to
bst0602

Kindly avoid using abbreviations. They only confuse the newsgroup.

Please do not top-post. Your answer belongs after (or intermixed with) the quoted material to which you reply, after snipping all irrelevant material. See the following links:

(taming google) (newusers)

 [page]:
            Try the download section.
Reply to
CBFalconer

Why don't the companies that manufacture bathroom fixtures design them so that the top and bottom are equally reliable? :-)

Reply to
Eric Smith