SimmSticks - Why?

I have been out of the hardware scene for a while.

While getting up to speed, I have noticed that the
"SimmSticks" seem to be insanely popular.

Perhaps I am just missing the obvious - however,
I have some questions:

  1. Many Simm sockets have a minimum life expectancy
     of 25 insertions. After that you are on borrowed
     time. Has anyone noticed a problem in this area
     during prototyping?

  2. I don't see what the spectacular advantage is over
     using the little .100 single and dual headers and
     stacking the boards together. Back in the day
     (> 10 years) this was *the* method we used for Z80
     and 68HC11 boards and I/O.

     If we were protyping, we let friction hold them
     together. For permanent use, we fastened them
     together with standoffs.

  3.  Lastly, in this modern day of space travel and
      microwave ovens, why hasn't SPI or I2C become
      the bus of choice for uC projects. No backplane
      required, few wires, almost unlimited I/O
      address range...

I'm probably doing a lot of point missing.
Cal C.

Re: SimmSticks - Why?

How many times are you going to install memory in a system?  ANd no, I
haven't.

Re: SimmSticks - Why?

  Sir, the clue-train is approaching the crossing and blowing
  its horn. That is, I think he was referring to "simmsticks"
  as in www.dontronics.com.

  I don't use them myself. Real Men still wirewrap below 1GHz.

Re: SimmSticks - Why?

ROFL... Now that I can agree with. Still one of the fastest prototyping
methods, _if_ you have a power wrapper. Mine dates back to 1979 and
still gets regular use...

Chris

Re: SimmSticks - Why?

Nah. Power wrappers are for wusses.

I tend to think of wirewrapping as knitting for nerds. I love it. ;)

I shall wirewrap a sweater one day...

Steve
http://www.sfdesign.co.uk
http://www.fivetrees.com

Re: SimmSticks - Why?

I've tried some power wrappers, I still prefer a hand tool.

But it _is_ knitting for nerds.  I'm about to knit an 8 MHz V20 (NEC
8088+) for no sane reason.  Strictly junkbox parts, including a 64k ZX-81
RAM card converted to 512k and an 80M hard drive.  I've always wanted a
retro system with a blinky LED front panel.  Once it's working, I'll
probably write a web server for it and submit it to Slashdot for
destruction.  Wheeee!  (A "pièce de résistance" in the original meaning.)

Strange perhaps, but I have friends who knit chainmail while watching TV.

--
Ron Sharp.
"Bring in the logic probe!"

Re: SimmSticks - Why?

Don't forget the high resistance R2R ladder DAC on buffered/latched
address and data lines, feeding the XY of your scope and a stereo
audio amplifier.  A retro system without that wouldn't do at all!

--
Guy Macon, Electronics Engineer & Project Manager.  Remember Doc Brown
from the 'Back to the Future' movies?  Do you have an "impossible"

There are limits.  After all, I'm not adding data/address toggle switches.
It has to fit a 8"x6"x2.5" Pactec case (except for the hard drive) and a
small card (except for the RAM card).  Besides, the QIX arcade board
already has stereo DACs (and an RS232 port).  :^P

It really is turning out to be a retro project.  My old EPROM programmer
software uses timing loops for an XT, so I'll have to take out the loops.
Sourcer (disassembler) doesn't want to run in Windows even in DOS mode, so
I'll have to configure a 486 as a MSDOS box.  You see, this is really just
a plot to justify all the junk I keep in the basement.

This started out as a hobby project to get away from it all.  As Rocky
tells Bullwinkle, "that trick never works!"

--
Ron Sharp.
"Nothing up ma sleeve, presto!"

Re: SimmSticks - Why?

I still love the old slit-n-wrap.  Alas, it got a bad reputation
from people who didn't follow the instructions.  If you calibrate
the tension at the start of the spool and halfway through, you never
get a bad wrap.

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22slit-n-wrap%22+vector

--
Guy Macon, Electronics Engineer & Project Manager.  Remember Doc Brown
from the 'Back to the Future' movies?  Do you have an "impossible"
Re: SimmSticks - Why?

[...]

SimmSticks aren't (necessarily) memory.  See http://www.simmstick.com /

Never used them, myself.  Regards,

                               -=Dave
--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.

Re: SimmSticks - Why?

I have heard of these.  I didn't think anyone actually used them.

Re: SimmSticks - Why?

they work well. easy to assemble and use.

Alex

Re: SimmSticks - Why?

http://www.dontronics.com/simcon.html
http://www.dontronics.com/ssinfo.html

we have had them on the market for about 7 years.

socket endurance?
http://www.dontronics.com/ssinfo_dg.html#cycle

you can do this with these boards too, you don't have to use the sockets
at all.
There is a row of holes behind the edge connector
see:
http://www.dontronics.com/simcon.html

yes, cable clamps or whatever, we do this too.

SimmStick uses these buses also, as well as several third party products
that have USB on a SimmStick.

Hundreds of thousands of these boards have now been sold.
Editorial staff at N&V, and Circuit Cellar have also used them.
First commercially available proto boards for the AVR family was a
SimmStick.

http://www.dontronics.com/dt006.html for the AVR family is directly
supported by Imagecraft C, Codevision C, and Bascom AVR.

--
Don McKenzie  E-mail:    http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html
              Home Page: http://www.dontronics.com

Re: SimmSticks - Why?

I think that one of the main reasons is that an engineer who has
tried several dontronics products and has found that they are all
well-documented, well-supported and a good fit for most projects
with have a tendency to buy the next new dontronics product.
http://www.dontronics.com/index.html

BTW, here is another tiny computer that I like a lot:
http://www.basicx.com