Serial Programming, SPI and ATmega

Dear all,

I am trying to send commands to a max6952 LED driver via SPI with my
microcontroller (ATmega8) which has SPI, however I have never writtern
programing for serial communication, and I don't know were to start. Would
anyne be kind enough to guide me the write direction (documentation,
website...). I can't find anything on google.

Can I use general pins on the microcontroller? Or should I use the SPI ports
on the uC? How do I create the clk?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Shahin

Re: Serial Programming, SPI and ATmega

Ummm, have you tried looking at the datasheet for the ATMega8? There's even
sample code there.

Re: Serial Programming, SPI and ATmega
Do you know the website http://www.avrfreaks.net ?
There are forums with thousands of questions and answers about AVR
programming.
Perhaps you will find a user project for your purpose in the database.

I didn't use the SPI hardware in my projects because it is also used for in
circuit programming.
In my telescope driver (mega128) I control some microstepping motor drivers
serially
and did it completely in software.
Look at http://martin-cibulski.de/atm/mount_controller_4/ for more details.

Martin