Serial/Ethernet Converter

Hi everyone!

  My requirement is very simple.
  I have serial port access on my product
  but I want ot interface it with PC via ethernet.
  I actually want to connect say 5-10 of my products to PC via ethernet.
  From product side, what I want is that, when I send a byte out of seria
port ;
  a device(like EM-202 by tibbo) connected to the serial port sends tha
byte over ethernet
  appending required headers/footers. Similarly from PC side, when I sen
a byte
  using TCP(may be socket programming), the connected device(like EM-202
sends that
  byte over serial link. Can EM-202 do this for me ? How ? If somebod
already has done
  this , then, please help me. thanx
  shoaib.ali@and-or.com

www.EmbeddedRelated.com

Re: Serial/Ethernet Converter

Ask the poeple who sell it.

A former employer of mine has a whole line of products that do
what you want.  They devices range from models with 1 serial
port to models with 32 serials ports.  From the host end, the
ports can be accessed via TCP sockets or you can install a
device driver for Linux or Windows that make the ports
accessible as "normal" serial ports (/dev/ttyXX under Linux or
COMXX under Windows).

http://www.comtrol.com /

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Did an Italian CRANE
                                  at               OPERATOR just experience

Re: Serial/Ethernet Converter
I have recently worked with B&B's ESO901 serial server. It has also the
virtual serial port (Windows) but it seems they have latency problems
(like 250ms on the serial loopback), so I had to write the code which
does access the serial port using sockets. B&B's technical support on
this issue was close to none, but I found out they licensed the product
from Passport Networks http://www.passportnetworks.com/ and these guys
were quite helpful. If you will be buying PNI's ESport, ask for their
IPSSP library.

Re: Serial/Ethernet Converter
may be u might get interested ?

www.EmbeddedRelated.com

Re: Serial/Ethernet Converter

That seems to be a pretty common problem.  When I worked at
Comtrol, we put a fair bit of effort in to keeping latency to a
minimum, and our products were an order of magnitude faster the
some of the competition's devices.  Properly configured, our
remote serial ports could have lower latency than a native
16x50 serial port.

Here's a web page with a cute flash drag race animation showing
the latency testing results:

http://www.comtrol.com/pub2/serialshootoutwp.asp .

There's a table of results on the page, and a link to download
a whitepaper explaining the testing methodology and the
benchmark program.

Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Catsup and Mustard
                                  at               all over the place! It's
Re: Serial/Ethernet Converter

Excuse my ignorance, but how can you achieve "better" latency than
"native" serial port ? On local serial port the latency is as low as
latency of driver stack (if any), unlike remote serial port will have
latency of: driver stack + network transport + serial server
processing.

The data may be innacurate, especialy 5.35ms for the local serial port.
I achieved oscilloscope measurable ~0.2ms response time on Win2k system
on one project with ConnectTech BlueHeat and disabled FIFO.

Maybe the 5ms on local port was measured with the card not transmitting
immediately if FIFO is not full.

Re: Serial/Ethernet Converter

There's latency (mostly receive) in the UART -- especially if
the FIFO is enabled. For some cases the latency in the UART
exceeds the network latency.  You can minimize the latency in
the UART by disabling the FIFO, but then you've got an awful
lot of interrupts to service.

Disabling the FIFO is the key.  IIRC, our tests were all done
with the FIFO enabled because that's how our customers run
their native ports -- I presume because they've had problems
running native ports in one interrupt per byte mode.

The latency on the local port is mostly in the receive FIFO. If
the recieve data stops, there's a timer that has to timeout
before a receive interrupt is generated.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  My Aunt MAUREEN was
                                  at               a military advisor to IKE &

We have used the moxa ne-4110s successfully

Ross

Site Timeline