Serial-to-ethernet converters

Hi,

I have some vague questions about these devices:

- Is it easy to configure them, in general?

- The way to tell the device its IP number is through the serial interface?

- The protocol is connectionless?

- Which one is the cheapest you know of?

Thanks a lot.

Reply to
Mochuelo

Configure using web browser

They come preset to a specific IP address, and you can connect to this IP address to change it.

Usually three options - TCP Server, TCP Client or UDP. Once connection is established it is transparent. There are settings to control packetising - i.e. send packet after certain time out or if certain end of message character is recieved.

We use a product from moxa -

Ross Marchant

What if you forget it?

Also, according to what you say, it looks like I could not first set up and wire a network with several nodes and then assign IPs. Is this right?

Reply to
Mochuelo

More info please. What are you connecting it to. Have you already designed the circuit. Can you choose a processor to use with your circuit?

Reply to
The Real Andy

This is to connect around 100 monoliths at an airport, each one with a PC board and some extra electronics governing a turnstile that allows removing / inserting luggage carts inside a guide. The "extra electronics" has an RS-232 input, so the PC boards could hopefully be replaced by serial-to-ethernet adapters. The processor in the extra electronics was already chosen (designed and built). The one (if the converter actually uses one) in the serial-to-ethernet converter can be any one. That should be transparent to me. The goal is to minimize cost yet still allowing the same functionality.

Reply to
Mochuelo