Resistor Networks

Quick question... For resistor networks, what is the
difference between "bussed" and "common"?

Cheers,
Rich

Re: Resistor Networks
Hi Rich,

All I have come across so far is the 'bussed' type that connects one
side of each resistor to a 'common' bus. Usually used for pull-up or
pull-down.

Then there are the Thevenin versions that have two resistors for each
terminal plus two common rails, one for VCC and one for GND. I guess you
could call these 'bussed' as well.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Re: Resistor Networks

Then there are the "individual resistor" versions, typically used to provide
some series resistance in a bus. These could also be considered to be
"bussed"!

Confusing terminology, or what?

Steve
http://www.fivetrees.com

Re: Resistor Networks
Hi Steve,

It can be confusing since not all manufacturers are using the same
terminology. Individual resistor arrays are usually not called bussed
though. Besides series resistance they offer another great advantage:
While the absolute tolerance may be a percent or more the differential
tolerance between resistors on the same array  is often much lower,
fractions of a percent. That is a boon to the analog or mixed signal
designer as well as in some uC applications. It allows precise divison
of reference voltages, signals etc. Sometimes these arrays can also be
handy in slope conversion schemes.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Re: Resistor Networks

Joerg,

That was my confusion.  They looked the same...  Some of the products
at Jameco say "bussed" and some say "common", but they look identical.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Rich

snipped-for-privacy@removethispacbell.net says...

Re: Resistor Networks
On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 14:13:29 -0600, RichH

I would think nothing - but you should look at the manufacturers'
wiring diagrams to be sure.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

I did... they looked the same.  Just wasn't sure of the terminology.

Cheers,
Rich

snipped-for-privacy@somewhere.invalid says...