Re: CF Driver for AVR

There are many open projects available in the internet that connect
CF's to microcontrollers. A good source is i.e. one of the application
notes from SanDisk which showes several ways to do this.

In short, it boils down to connecting A0-A2 D0-D7 /IOR, /IOW and /CS
and following the protocol specs available from www.compactflash.org
The only potential difficulty is to make sure that the timeing
requierements form the CF are met and that the lines to the CF are
reasonably short.

HTH

Markus

Re: CF Driver for AVR

ethernut look on the hardware page
http://www.ethernut.de/en/index.html

or edtp.com 's ide interface
www.edtp.com

Also think I saw a project for this on avrfreaks.com but I may be wrong.

Alex

Re: CF Driver for AVR

Fred Eady did an ATA hard drive controller design using the ATmega128 in the
January 2003
issue of Circuit Cellar. The article is on-line at:
http://www.circuitcellar.com/library/print/0103/Eady150/index.htm

--

Regards
David Milne

Re: CF Driver for AVR
On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 13:28:36 -0400, "Ian McBride"

I'll recomand to use a MMC card. They are SPI compatible.

Re: CF Driver for AVR

Where is the interface spec for MMC?

Re: CF Driver for AVR

Isn't CF basically IDE interface? Still works in 8-bit mode?

Re: CF Driver for AVR

Basically yes. IDE used to work with 8 bit too. Problem these days is
that you no longer find drives that can do it. CF cards however do
support 8 bit mode which makes perfectly sense considering that they
are most often used in embedded devices.

Markus

Re: CF Driver for AVR

As far as I know, IDE works in 8 bit software mode.  I.e. just ignore
the high byte.  CF works in 8 bit hardware mode.  You have to enable
it with a hardware signal.  In another word, can't do 8 bit IDE-CF.

IDE Compact Flash Drive
http://ide-cf.info-for.us

Re: CF Driver for AVR

   CF work with True-IDE with 8 bits without hardware signal.
   by sending
   Set Feature Command ( EF h)
   Feature Register (01 h) : turn on  8 bits IDE Mode
   Feature Register (81 h) : turn off 8 bits IDE Mode

   If You have the CF specification on your hand, you can take a look on Set
Feature Command.