Proper word for total delay?

What is the proper word that describes the total delay in a system from analog input to digital output (including phase shift time in analog and digital filters, calculations + other data transport times)?

Propagation delay time, latency or other?

Reply to
Slim

As general as you ask for: probably none, because that's not one single time, but rather a function of frequency, amplitude and whatnot. Pulse propagation time might be a useful name.

Reply to
Hans-Bernhard Bröker

IMO, digital filters and calculations are subject to software implementation, where as the rest of the variables (phase shift , transport [ I2C , DMA , SPI etc. etc.] , ADC , DAC) are somehow design considerations. With good hare design these variables become constants and there is not much left to get over. A good hw design with poor software (digital filter/calculation/transport protocol[ list , array , DMA configuration etc ] ) implementation would simply make situation worse , however a good software even with poor hw design would be able to make things work.

ali

Reply to
Ali

Is it Group Delay?

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

The processing delay or the turnaround delay.

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

Damn good question, especially as the delay time in a voice system can be a critical issue (on links that echo which is most of them, it's a major engineering issue).

In the long past when I worked on such links, we called it the system delay time. This should not be confused with such things as group delay (which specifies the relative delay through some circuit across a band of frequencies).

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

Signal frequency response is the term our customer uses, with an explicit definition (from the inputs pins to the digital data word passed to the applicaton software). Unless you oversample and use FIR filters the delay is a function of frequency, so you can't use the term delay time or latency in this context, as least I don't.

Reply to
steve