Proper word for total delay?

What is the proper word that describes the total delay in a system from
analog input to digital output (including phase shift time in analog and
digital filters, calculations + other data transport times)?

Propagation delay time, latency or other?

Re: Proper word for total delay?

As general as you ask for: probably none, because that's not one single
time, but rather a function of frequency, amplitude and whatnot.  Pulse
propagation time might be a useful name.

Re: Proper word for total delay?

IMO, digital filters and calculations are subject to software
implementation, where as the rest of the variables (phase shift ,
transport [ I2C , DMA , SPI etc. etc.] , ADC , DAC) are somehow design
considerations. With good hare design these variables become constants
and there is not much left to get over. A good hw design with poor
software (digital filter/calculation/transport protocol[ list ,
array , DMA configuration etc ] ) implementation would simply make
situation worse , however a good software even with poor hw design
would be able to make things work.

ali

Re: Proper word for total delay?
On Mon, 28 May 2007 13:59:42 +0200, in comp.arch.embedded "Slim"

Is it Group Delay?

martin

Re: Proper word for total delay?

The processing delay or the turnaround delay.

VLV

Re: Proper word for total delay?
Damn good question, especially as the delay time in a voice system can
be a critical issue (on links that echo which is most of them, it's a
major engineering issue).

In the long past when I worked on such links, we called it the system
delay time. This should not be confused with such things as group delay
(which specifies the relative delay through some circuit across a band
of frequencies).

Cheers

PeteS

Re: Proper word for total delay?

Signal frequency response is the term our customer uses, with an
explicit definition (from the inputs pins to the digital data word
passed to the applicaton software). Unless you oversample and use FIR
filters the delay is a function of frequency, so you can't use the
term delay time or latency in this context, as least I don't.

Site Timeline