PING from Windows to a serial port - Page 2

Re: PING from Windows to a serial port

That's because you continue to top-post and not trim after being asked
to not do so.  Can you see how top-posting sort of cuts the conversation
off?

It is customary on USENET to follow conventions preferred by the
individual groups.  It is considered very rude behavior to ignore
requests asking you to do so.  Perhaps that was not your intention, but
that is how it was perceived by many here.  Maybe you post in other
groups where this is the norm, but I assure that it is not that way
here.  Maybe you are new to USENET?  If so you're going to find it quite
interesting.  ;-)

Since you seem to have occasion to work with embedded projects, you may
have need of help from people here in the future.  You have already lost
at least one good source by giving the appearance that you didn't care
what Mr. Edwards thought of your posting style, you were going to do it
your way.  You might not want to burn too many bridges, as there are not
as many people on USENET willing to be helpful as you might think.

getting
mask is
the
uses
as:
of
trigger
the
routes
into
will
device on
same
step,
source is
exactly what

Re: PING from Windows to a serial port
Top posting, bottom posting. It really isn't that important you know !!

Now then ..... back to reality .......

Re: PING from Windows to a serial port
Ya know, for somebody that knows virtually nothing about TCP/IP in
specific [and computers in general according to the archives], you sure
have an interesting approach when it comes to getting along with others
while asking for their help.  I guess you are right though.  Help you,
not help you; it's really not that important.  I'll make a personal
effort to not try helping you again with your problems.

I think I'll also make a practice of not recommending your dev boards to
anyone either.  [and you thought top-posting didn't matter]  Given the
nature of your previous problems getting this SLIP thing to work and
looking at other "problems" you've brought to USENET, one can only
wonder how you managed to actually bring a product all the way to
market.

BTW, your "About Us" page is a hoot.  Try to imagine my surprise, I
actually expected to see something about you listed out there.  You
know, like experience and accomplishments or, lacking that, your
educational credentials.  Perhaps you could call it the "How to Pay Me"
page instead.  ;-)

!!
asked
conversation
but
quite
may
lost
care
it
not
and
255.255.255.0,
IE
expressed
out
handles
hooked
that
the
this

Re: PING from Windows to a serial port

He is obviously just a rude and ignorant boor.  PLONK.

Re: PING from Windows to a serial port
Weird!!

Why is this such a big deal?

Rog.

Re: PING from Windows to a serial port

Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I HAVE a towel.
                                  at
Re: PING from Windows to a serial port

It's protocol, which I imagine you can appreciate given your current
project.

Even if you disagree, it's easy enough to comply. Especially when it's
important in the community where you're soliciting free help...

Re: PING from Windows to a serial port
Nicely put. However does it excuse a verbal personal attack?

[Last posting]

Nicely put. However does it excuse a verbal personal attack?

[Last posting]

Re: PING from Windows to a serial port
Richard,

Sorry you also asked a couple of questions a few postings ago - I'd
forgotten them amid all this abuse coming my way!

I'm using an AVR M128, the stock processor for much of the work I do. A
simple web page server is something that I've wanted to get into for a while
and having a web page interface for an embedded system is the best way in my
opinion. I thought of getting into a 3rd party solution but the best way to
learn something is to "do" it. I'll be moving on to some ARM7 work later and
want to be able to simply port my code across. As everyone who's read the
postings, it's something new to me but I'm nearly at the PING stage now and
the TCP part should be easy enough. The CGI and http part will be the
hardest I think.

Thanks for the help, regards,

Roger.

Re: PING from Windows to a serial port

Get the book, really.  The time it will save you will more than make up
for the cost and time to read it.  The project is bigger than it seems -
SLIP+ICMP is a toe in the water.

ARP, ICMP, and UDP are relatively easy.  TCP will be hard, as you need
to negotiate / maintain a state table for each connection, etc.  All the
other protocols & parts are very much "fire & forget".

Particularly for TCP, SLIP is harder than Ethernet because you don't
have the NIC buffer RAM to hold the packet while you checksum it.
Bentham has a very creative technique that's an alternative to setting
aside several hundred bytes of sparse SRAM.

There are also tricks to doing non-trivial variable input and dynamic
graphical output with limited file storage.  Several of the techniques
Bentham presents are pretty slick, and saves loads of time doing the
initial discovery yourself.

Finally, there are open projects out there like Ethernut.de using the
AVR for Ethernet.  (Don't forget, you'll also be needing driver code for
an Ethernet controller.)

While all of these resources may have commercial limitations on the
source code, they'll make great references as you craft your own code,
and help you asses how big the project really will be.  After all, why
re-invent the wheel unless you're in this project purely for mental
stimulation?

On the other hand, products like Lantronix XPort and Digi's Digi-ME
web-server-in-an-RJ-45-jack are more expensive, but very compact, very
quick time-to-market, and zero overhead on your MCU (and there's a dozen
other popular options).  Unless Ethernet connectivity is your core
product, it might make better business sense to spend time & effort
enhancing your core product line and using a turnkey solution to add
Ethernet.

Richard

Re: PING from Windows to a serial port

And/or get "TCP/IP Illustrated" by W. Richars Stevens. It's even
available online (unixforge?) and IMHO gives a better picture of how
things work together. You won't find implemetation details etc,
though.

Andreas
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Agreed, sortof.  Implementation on MCUs is specific enough the I'd
recommend TCP/IP Lean over the Stevens book.  There are a lot of corners
to cut and tricks involved.

But that said, if I only had one IP reference, it'd be Stevens, Volume
1.  It's indispensable.  Despite being 12 years old, there's little
that's outdated.  (I hadn't heard it was available online now - that's
great.)  Here's the book:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)

Volume 2 covers implementation on Unix, and is fairly useful, but not
nearly as much as the first volume.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)

But don't try to craft your packet formats based purely on the book -
options like Ethernet frame types, etc. will confuse matters.  It's much
easier to copy the frame format from a real packet and use Volume 1 to
understand how it works.  As Tauno mentioned, Ethereal
(http://www.ethereal.com ) is free and absolutely indespensible (and in
many regards, better than the original $10K Sniffer product).

Richard

Re: PING from Windows to a serial port

You *do* need the W. Richard Stevens' books.

An AVR is a little on the light side to make a working
TCP/IP stack. For references how much can be skipped,
get Jeremy Bentham's TCP/IP Lean.

Also, get Ethereal and learn to use it - you need it.

Been there - done that (on an AT91 ARM7TDMI).

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

Re: PING from Windows to a serial port