PIC Development Help - compiler and IDE

I am just starting to learn PIC programming. I have some experience with
Motorola processors so it's not brand new to me. I was wondering what C
compilers are best for PIC's, what are you guys using. I was also looking
for an IDE. I am especially interested in low cost products. I have the
PICKit 2 (USB interface) and the MP Labs IDE. Unfortunately I am having some
compatibility issues:

1) The MP Labs IDE does not support the PICKit 2. I have to code in the IDE,
then switch to the basic PIC programming to write the file. No programming
or debugging can be done with the IDE.

2) The Pic lite compiler I have does not support the chip I am using - the
PIC16F690. Maybe the solution is to create a header file for the specific
chip. Maybe you know a site that has files like this.

I was surprised that the package I ordered did not have compatible products,
all the items were bundled together in a kit. I would like to get it up and
running because the PIC's have some nice features on them. My plan B is to

Thanks for any help.

Re: PIC Development Help - compiler and IDE

You can use MPLAB SIM in the IDE to simulate your code.  If you get into
really complicated projects that require debugging in circuit with various
peripherals running, you should buy the MPLAB ICD2, which will interface
directly with MPLAB IDE.  You'd then be able to program your PIC and debug
real time without switching applications.

 > 2) The Pic lite compiler I have does not support the chip I am using -
the

The HI-TECH PICC-Lite compiler was purposely crippled so it could be
released for free.  If you want a C compiler for that particular chip, you
should buy the HI-TECH PICC compiler.

Personally, I don't recommend that you program PIC16's in C.  The PIC16
architecture isn't optimized for C code.  Hand written asm code will likely
run faster and take less space.  If you are bent on using C, I would
recommend using a PIC18 part instead, which was designed with C in mind.
(The PICKit 2 may not be able to program PIC18s yet)  Also, if you used a
PIC18 part, you could download and use the Microchip MPLAB C18 C compiler,
which is a very good C compiler.  The free version of C18 disables the
procedurable abstraction optimization, which is of no consequence unless you
are completely out of FLASM memory.  Otherwise, the free version is
uncrippled and supports all current and future PIC18s.

Although I've never used PICC-Lite, my guess is that you would have to
compile for one of the PICs that are supported in addition to modifying the
header file.

The PICKit 2, true to it's name, is a starter kit.  PICC-Lite is a 3rd party
product, so it strikes me as reasonable that it does not support the
PIC16F690, despite there being a copy of it on the CD.  Also, the PICKit 2
is very new.  While it may not be supported in MPLAB IDE yet, full source
code for the host application and the internal firmware is available, so one
day it may be interfaceable directly to MPLAB.

Re: PIC Development Help - compiler and IDE

I use Hi-Tech C on PIC16's  the results are acceptable.  Not Very cheap however.

Re: PIC Development Help - compiler and IDE

There are no cheap/free reasonable C compilers for most PICs. As Howard
wrote, the PIC architecture is not compiler friendly.

I had a deep look at Motorola and Philips and 8051-processors coming
from PIC/assembly. I ended up with Atmel AVR-processors and avr-gcc
using eclipse as IDE. Thats free and works very well.

Regards, Kurt
--
Kurt Harders
PiN -Präsenz im Netz GITmbH
Re: PIC Development Help - compiler and IDE

I ended up with Atmel AVR-processors and avr-gcc using

GCC is an excellent compiler.  I use it for the Hitachi processors.  It's
amazing that something that good is free.

Dan

Re: PIC Development Help - compiler and IDE
Hi Dan,

It has a development of > 15 years with permanent innovation :-).

Regards, Kurt
--
Kurt Harders
PiN -Präsenz im Netz GITmbH

I have been using the CCS compiler for a few years. It cost $A200, which
is quite cheap. Works great. You can simulate and step through with MPLAB

--
Angelo Fraietta
http://www.smartcontroller.com.au/~angelo /

Re: PIC Development Help - compiler and IDE

Zeus is a language neutral IDE for the Windows platform:

   http://www.zeusedit.com/features.html

It has features like class browsing, syntax highlighting,
smart indent, code folding, project/workspace management,
integrated version control etc and can be configured for
almost any language and any tool set.

Note: Zeus is shareware (45 day trial).

Jussi Jumppanen
Author: Zeus for Windows