Passive RFID Technology ?

I want to keep track of delivered components automatically.  It looks
like RFID tags (Passive) should be a viable solution. Are there any
sort of standards available so that one do not have to use products
(Bot scanners and RFID Tags) from a single vendor. If possible I would
like to connect a reader module to a small embedded node that provides
the invormation via some sort of network to a central node, which then
can provide this information to a database running on a standard PC.

Any suggestions and pointers would be appreciated.

   Anton Erasmus

Re: Passive RFID Technology ?

have a look at /

and especially the

I tried one of their readers with tags and thew send the recognized tag
number just over serial port.
You can also contact the email on top of
for details ! Sorry for german page, but i think it is helpful.

I have no connection to this company, beside using a product of them.

Re: Passive RFID Technology ?

try DIY kits

Re: Passive RFID Technology ?
On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 11:26:59 +0200, Anton Erasmus

You didn't indicate your range requirement.  There are two basic tag
types at least for this discussion.  One type operates using H field
(magnetics) while the other uses E field.  Passive H field tags
typically have read ranges up to one foot or so while some passive E
field tags have been read in excess 3 meters away using unlicensed
readers.  Licensed readers (higher power) are used to extend the read
All that aside, one place to get some info (and products) concerning
RFID tags is

-Bill Knight
R O SoftWare &

Re: Passive RFID Technology ?

Range wise it should be possible to read the tags close to 100%
reliable when an object is taken through a wide (4 door) doorway, so
it looks like the 3m range is a requirement.
I have found some info on TIs and Infineon's site, but so far haven't
been able to get a clear picture. (There is a hell of a lot of
buzzwords, and info targeted at a non-technical audiance).

Thanks for the pointer. I will have a look and hopefully come back
with somewhat more intelligent questions.

  Anton Erasmus

Site Timeline