other microprocessors with PLDs on chip?

After searching for a few days I stumbled across Cypress's pSOC. Can anyone
point me to other
vendors that have similar devices?

Thanks
Jer

Re: other microprocessors with PLDs on chip?
Jerry,

Look at the Triscend devices. We used their E5 solution in our company. Works
great!

Cor

Re: other microprocessors with PLDs on chip?
As an alternative you can look also at Atmel : Their FPSLIC products include
an AVR microcontroller and a small size FPGA (5-20K gates).

Robert Lacoste - ALCIOM : The mixed signals experts
http://www.alciom.com

Works great!
anyone

Re: other microprocessors with PLDs on chip?

anyone

How about Altera NIOS
(<http://www.altera.com/products/devices/nios/nio-index.html )?

It's the same thing in reverse: a RISC core on a PLD.

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio @ iki fi

Re: other microprocessors with PLDs on chip?

Have you used the NIOS ?  We are looking for an fpga and soft cpu
combination, with the main contenders being Altera/NIOS and
Xilinx/Microblaize.  I'm swaying towards the NIOS, but I'd greatly
appreciate it if you have any brief comments about it.

David

Re: other microprocessors with PLDs on chip?

I've not use either, but have heard that the Microblaze is a lot better
than the Nios.

Leon
--
Leon Heller, G1HSM Tel: +44 1424 423947
Email: aqzf13 at dsl dot pipex dot com
Re: other microprocessors with PLDs on chip?

I've not use either, but have heard that the Microblaze is a lot better
than the Nios.

Leon
--
Leon Heller, G1HSM Tel: +44 1424 423947
Email: aqzf13 at dsl dot pipex dot com
Re: other microprocessors with PLDs on chip?

In what way is it better?  I've heard mostly from marketting people and FAEs
trying to sell us these systems, so even hearsay opinions are interesting -
at least I can ask the FAEs for more details if necessary.

Re: other microprocessors with PLDs on chip?

for microblaze and Nios also look in comp.arch.fpga

linux for microblaze
linux for microblaze from University of Queensland  by John Williams
http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~jwilliams/mblaze-uclinux

http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~jwilliams/mblaze-uclinux/Downloads/_demo_1_00_ =
e/readme-1_00_e.pdf

had a look at opencores yet ? www.opencores.org

don't forget you can buy lots of other ip cores.
If you or your company has a preffered micro  you can probably buy
a version to embedd in a fpga.

For smaller stuff picoblaze
picoblaze core  free from xilinx
8 bit. programmable state machine
http://www.xilinx.com/ipcenter/processor_central/picoblaze/index.htm =
will need to additionally register for this. is free.
http://www.xilinx.com/xlnx/xil_entry2.jsp?sMode3D%login&group3D%picoblaze =
  registration page for picoblaze lounge

http://www.xilinx.com/ipcenter/processor_central/picoblaze/picoblaze_user =
_resources.htm

http://toolbox.xilinx.com/cgi-bin/forum?14@@/Embedded%20Processors/PicoBl =
aze%20Soft%20Processor   picoblaze forum

picoblaze ide from20%
http://www.mediatronix.com/pBlazeIDE.htm

picoblaze resources
http://www.nialstewartdevelopments.co.uk/downloads

port extender for ksm
http://www.arl.wustl.edu/arl/projects/fpx/fpx_kcpsm /
kcpsm is old name for picoblaze. Ken Chapman programmable state machine.

project on opencores using picoblaze as compact flash interface
http://www.opencores.org/projects/ffr16 /

Alex

Re: other microprocessors with PLDs on chip?

STMicroelectronis took over WSI's PSD business.
They also have complete SOC chips (called PSD).

--
Dipl.-Ing. Tilmann Reh
Autometer GmbH Siegen - Elektronik nach Ma.

Both Xilinx (PowerPC) and Altera (ARM I think) do FPGA's with with
microprocessors on chip. Same thing?

Re: other microprocessors with PLDs on chip?

 pSOC does not really let you 'get at' the PLD sections, in
the true meaning of Programmable Logic Devices.

 Other vendors to look at are:

STm's uPSD family.
 True Single chip, ADC, On Chip DEBUG/FLASH, and true
PLDs with 16 MCells and 32MCells comming. Industry Standard uC Core.

Triscend E5 : RAM based, (external loader needed) no ADC, but
larger PLD fabric (FPGA).

Atmel FPSlic : Also RAM based, but with hard ceiling on uC code size,
and only medium FPGA resource. No ADC.

 FPGA Cored uC :
 Once you get above a certain threshold (lowering with time) it
is better to use a standard FPGA, and include the uC as a compiled
core.
 That way, you follow the process improvements, and get
better value.

 A new entrant is http://www.quickcores.com /
and they support the ProASIC FLASH FPGAs, with a range
of 8 bit industry standard cores.

 Then there are the big players of Xilinx, Altera, Actel.
Look for MicroBlaze.PicoBlaze and NIOS cores.

 FPGA uC cores are by now reasonably mature, and proven, but
the HW is not single chip - typically 3 are needed:
FPGA itself, small Serial FLASH Bootloader and CODE.DATA RAM

 It is _possible_ to squeeze to one chip (ProASIC), but the
code.data size ceiling is quite small. [Block RAM defined]

 Quickcores do show an interesting solution, of MANY
80C51 cores, each with 2K Code/256 RAM, for multi-processing
tasks.

 Any FPGA uC core solution ahould be 'reality checked' againat
Standard FLASH uC + CPLD solution - which can offer ADC/DAC and
on chip memory for good EMC.

-jg

Re: other microprocessors with PLDs on chip?

What a great set of replies. I looked up most of the suggested devices today
at work.
I didn't want to limit the replies by outlining all of the requirements. The
desired solution
is driven by COST, size, power consumption, flexibility. I spent some time
looking at the
Cypress pSOC since that appears on first glance to be the single chip
solution. It is unfortunate
that one cannot "tweak" the digital functions. Its just about there. I am
now looking at a two
chip solution, a PIC and a CPLD.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Jer

Re: other microprocessors with PLDs on chip?

The code size is very limited (36 KB shared with code and data).  However,
being RAM-based, the code can be swapped in/out if the application allows
this.  I do it with a human operated device.  Depending on the menu
selection, a different set of code + data + fpga is loaded from a Compact
Flash card.  As theoretical max, the FPGA can fill the AVR's code+data
in less than 2ms.

Marc

Site Timeline