OT: Linked Out?

I consider Backups to fall into this category. More than once have I seen automatic backups copy corrupt files while people worked to "un-corrupt" them. I want mine manual so I know what's going on and when :-)

Just like there is a reason why the landing gear doesn't come out automatically in an aircraft. During a missed approach procedure this could otherwise be really bad.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Backups only fall into this category if you don't have a good backup system. I have a good backup system, as described in another post - it won't corrupt my backups even if it fails. And even if it did manage to do something awful, I have redundant backups - they won't both fail at the same time.

If you have such a poor and unreliable backup system that it needs hand-holding and it might destroy your other backups in the process, then I suppose manual backups are your only choice. Your backup system is better than no backup system at all, but it is far from being a good and reliable system.

Reply to
David Brown

And some of that is the way the taxes are set up. Over double on the replacement batteries. .

Reply to
JosephKK

Really? Maybe that's why they are so outrageous in price. Even at Walmart they are very expensive. The topper are cell phone where people by a new one when the LiIon dies because it's cheaper than a new LiIon. Environmentally wrong, totally wrong.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

That is the reason why if I have choice have a strong preference for devices which take ordinary AA or AAA batteries. Of course with cell phones you have no choice (oh well...the cell phone I had more than 10 years ago could also run on 3 AAA cells).

Reply to
Dombo

Same with cordless phones. I have yet to find one that would run on a couple of AA cells instead of those dreaded sub-whatever triple-packs where the stores want around $15 each and where you have no clue how long they've been sitting on their shelf. There was never a production date on the package. Of course not.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Fortunately my (ten year old) cordless phone runs on two AA cells. Within two years the batteries it came with failed. In this case it was an easy and cheap repair that still lasts to this day. However if it had had q custom battery pack I probably had have to toss it.

Reply to
Dombo

Our cordless phones actually last a long time. The first one was the best, Cincinnatti Microwave. Then the company quit making them and batteries became prohibitively expensive. The current set is around six years, still perfectly ok except the batteries are croaking again.

My first handheld electronics was a pocket radio I got for Christmas when I was a kid. 40 years later, perfectly fine, used it a month ago when remodeling the lab and all the wall outlets were out.

Yep, that could lead to fire in the trousers, literally. If it is offered by a company with just a P.O. box or somewhere in a not so regulated country I wouldn't buy it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Maybe, though handheld electronics (especially the stuff you keep in your pocket every day) tends to have a limited life. I'm on my 6th cell phone or so, none because of batteries.

It's not a bad idea to pick up a spare battery online before you need it.. costs around $10-$15 for the BST-37 Li-ion pack in my current phone, including shipping. Hopefully it's not a counterfeit with the protection circuit left out. ;-)

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Hmm, my new Philips DECT phone set uses standard Ni-MH AAA's. The previous noname one on which the display went bad also had two AAA's.

Joop

Reply to
Joop

NTFS does support hard links. The windows rsync server however may not support creating them them; but if it was compiled using cygwin I would expect it to.

there's a way to do all this in one step using the rsync option

--link-dest (pointing to yesterday's backup)

yeah, it's real neat!

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Not quite that scenario, but, I've seen a cleaner plug a 2000W vacuum into a 1800VA UPS and bring the system down. (actually, I only saw them unpluging the vacuum after the system went down)

Reply to
Jasen Betts

NTFS (or rather windows) has extremely poor support for hard links. Theoretically, NTFS supports them - in practice, windows and almost every program running on windows is blissfully unaware of hard links. The only decent program I know of for working with hard links in windows is a port of *nix "ln".

However, it's not rsync that is handling the links in this sort of backup system (rsync will backup symbolic links in different ways - copy the link or copy the file pointed at). It is the recursive copy with "cp -al" that makes the linked copy. It's quite possible that the cygwin "cp" supports this properly, but I simply wouldn't trust windows with a hard link - it is effectively an undocumented and untested feature.

Yes, and I believe that's the way dirvish implements its backups. With rsnapshot you can separate the rsync and the copy into distinct steps, which I feel is a clearer arrangement and recovers better if there is an error (such as a network failure have way through). With dirvish, it's too easy to accidentally end up with an empty backup if the source machine was switched off - it's no harm in itself, since you have lots of valid backup copies, but the next backup will transfer everything anew, taking network bandwidth and disk space.

Reply to
David Brown