OT: Linked Out?

A bit of spelunking on the site didn't reveal how to remove a connection from my Linked-In network (it could be obvious, and I just missed it; I promise to say "d'oh" if that's the case.).

Anyone know a way?

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

"Duh". So, there, I said it for you :-)))

-> Contacts -> Remove Connections (upper right hand corner, on dark blue background).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

D'oh indeed. I figured there was a 50% chance that it was stunningly obvious.

OK. One more useful but totally non-income thing done today (I'm reinstalling Windows -- oh boy).

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

My current D'oh problem seems not so easy. Got a very nice Durofix little single cell Li-Ion electric screwdriver at CostCo. After the office and lab remodel the charger is gone and nowhere to be found :-(

Hmm, that only happened to me once when the HD in a laptop croaked. The XP re-install was fairly painless though, it let me do other stuff while it was trundling. In my case ripping tack strips out of concrete and getting blisters.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

A friend lost his carpenter's square when he remodeled his kitchen. He thought he'd find it when he moved. Nope.

FYI: We were looking for a cordless screwdriver for work[*] and found Sears had the Milwaukee 4V Li-Ion driver with two batteries for half ($65) what they were going for on the web.

[*] I like the Bosch screwdrivers, particularly the impact driver, but they're too cheap.

I have a USB drive I do weekly backups to. I've lost a couple of drives on this laptop. Don't know why, but I lost drives the last two times I visited my brother. The backups saved me a *lot* of pain.

Reply to
krw

This one? -->

-- I have the slightly earlier model of it, and I'd wholeheartedly recommend it as one of the most useful cordless tools one can have.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Same here :-(

The CostCo one was $20 or $25. I've never seen one this small and boy did that rock. I've drilled into pretty tough stuff with that little thing. It isn't very high rpm but lots of torque. I hope I can find out whether it needs a 4.2V charge voltage and find the rather non-standard connector (possibly so people don't connect regular wall warts and blow the battery).

I've got a Bosch as well but the battery is dead and unobtanium, so I am going to have to scrape it out and install AA cells :-(

Yep, same here. All it took was an XP re-install, software, then spool on the backup. The software took the most because Dell had a lot of upgraded drivers for this laptop and a mirror-install wouldn't have worked. Initially I had tried that but found that stuff such as LVC Player were sluggish. Installed it all fresh, bingo, as fast as ever.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I have so many wall warts and chargers that I've resorted to labeling them with a silver Sharpie so that I don't lose charger-to-unit correlation. Now to make a rack to hold them all :-(

...Jim Thompson

After the office/lab remodel I made long wooden trays and channels for the desks. This is where all the power strips, wall warts, LAN switches and whatnot now reside. No more cables on the floor, makes it really easy to vacuum.

We did the same at church for the audio booth and the fire marshal was mighty impressed.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

That's the one. I got both drivers shown in the lower picture without the bits for $150. ;-)

Reply to
krw

I don't like the straight screwdrivers. I much prefer pistol grip tools. Li-Ion has some pretty stringent charging requirements, though perhaps the charger is in the pack.

The local Lowes has the 12V Bosch Li-Ion batteries - $40.

I just boot from the USB drive and install. It takes maybe an hour with no pain. Well, I was without my laptop when I really needed it. My wife's is unusable (Vista).

Reply to
krw

Is that only a 1/4" chuck? I have an AC-powered Makita, with 1/2" chuck, that goes thru concrete like butter.

...Jim Thompson

I counted mine the other night. I have eight cordless drills (four manufacturers), two screwdrivers, two cordless circular saws, a radio, and a flashlight. I have chargers everywhere. ;-)

Reply to
krw

No chuck. It's an impact screwdriver, not a drill. It *is* the most usefully hand tool I have. It drives screws like they're in butter and doesn't strip even crappy Phillips heads.

Reply to
krw

Lucky man... that's a great price!

Interestingly Bosch claims that the reason this is now labeled "12V" -- even though it uses the exact same battery as the "10.8V" version

-- is that some of their competitors were advertising 3-cell (LiIon) cordless tools as 12V -- making them look "less powerful" -- even though under load designers are figuring ~3.6V/cell (hence 10.8V total).

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Larkin has mentioned how, after an install, his guys' HDDs get cloned and the next time it's much simpler.

*-*-*-hard-disks+Live.CD+GPL+srl+srl+Windows+Clonezilla+srl+without.installation

Reply to
JeffM

Well that's certainly worthwhile.

...Jim Thompson

Yup... HPs with hot-plug front-panel RAID drives and redundant everything. I blew up a serial port, went down the hall and got another HP computer out of stock, moved my drives, and was back up with a new PC in about 10 minutes, exactly the same.

I also occasionally drop off a cloned C: drive and stash it in a baggie. If my Windoze gets trashed, I can plug the saved drive into any HP machine and be back in business in minutes.

But XP on about 10 of these machines has been totally reliable so far. That's worth the $3K per box they cost.

John

It is one:

Nope, was a wall wart, gone. I'll see if I can get a separate one. Meantime I found a connector that works. Shouldn't a precise voltage limit along with a fixed current limit work?

Doesn't fit mine, it's 9.6V NiCd :-(

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg