Non PCI VGA controller

I'm trying to find a basic VGA controller with a non-PCI bus for
interface to a 32 bit embedded processor.  I don't need anything
special, 1024x768 with 256 colours with analogue VGA output is fine.
All I've been able to find are parts with PCI.  I guess the alternative
would be to use an FPGA, or use a bridge chip to give my processor PCI.
  What approach have other people taken here, this must be a problem
that crops up from time to time?

Thanks in advance

Martin

Re: Non PCI VGA controller

Perhaps a PC104 card (ISA type bus) would be easier to hack the
interface for- what's the bus on your system?

Paul Burke

Re: Non PCI VGA controller

Look at Fujitsu Graphic Display Controllers. These have
direct interface to quite a few 32bit CPU busses. I have not used
any of them, but they look quite nice.

Regards
   Anton Erasmus

Re: Non PCI VGA controller

Several of Epson's S1Dxxxx series LCD controllers have analog VGA
outputs as well as digital LCD outputs. Check them out. They have
somewhat ISA-like interfaces. Expensive and long leadtimes, though.

It's a real pain at resolutions > 800x600@16bpp. Once you start
looking at high resolutions, for *production* purposes it's easier to
move to a CPU with integral PCI bridge (and native OS support for the
part, ideally!).

For *prototype* purposes you can take an ISA SVGA card as someone else
suggested. But it's rather a lot of work to get it functioning in a
non-x86 environment.

Re: Non PCI VGA controller

There's a crying need for a vga controller with integrated
memory that can be slapped onto address and data lines with
a minimum amount of hassle.  I wished someone would see it
and build it.

Re: Non PCI VGA controller
Hi, Hatachi did a kit for their lcds with a Yamaha chip. It was sold by farnell
at one time quite cheap Hitachi part no LCMEVB-001

Re: Non PCI VGA controller
Thanks for the suggestions, I already have glue logic from the native
bus to ISA for other devices, so anything with an ISA bus will be good.
  The device is replacing a Cirrus logic GD5428 which is now obsolete.

Regards

Martin

Re: Non PCI VGA controller

If you are thinking about fpgas, have a look at the Lancelot vga card:
http://www.fpga.nl/index.html?lancelot.html

It's designed to work with the Altera Nios development kit, but I'm sure the
card (or at least the idea) could be adapted for other systems.

Site Timeline