VGA/SVGA controller

Hi all, I'm looking for some card/device to display text/graphics on my LCD - data source is small arm uP. I found some module from Mylium (LAVA 10

- and I'm wondering if anyone had an experience with it? Is it really 800x600? I can't display lower resolution than this on my monitor.Can I reprogram it (it's based on FPGA)? How can I use the onboard SDRAM? Are there any other solutions like this one?

Thanks, Dzun

Dzun

m.es) - and I'm wondering if anyone had an experience with it? Is

In general, you're probably much MUCH better off getting an ARM-based (or something-else-based) SBC that actually has a real VGA output - most of the standard LCD controllers can be fairly easily tweaked to do analog VGA out.

Reply to
larwe

I just (I mean *yesterday*) got my own FPGA implementation of a DVI controller working. Would that help? It needs an external SDRAM chip, and has an MCU interface (addr/data/rd/wr/wait) although you could insert a different one I suppose. I'm still trying to get it be both fast and reliably 1024x768, but it does 800x600 at the moment.

This is the board:

I use a 3S50AN though, not the 3S200A. I suppose you could put my code on their board, but I don't know how well the DVI signals would survive a standard 0.1" header - I took care to keep trace lengths matched and close when I made my board.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Well, SBCs seem to be much more expensive and I would prefer to stick to something smaller (and simpler) than some OMAP or Atom processor. I already checked their manual and it looks that they have simple DAC on their evaluation board. To DJ Delorie - although that module comes with preprogrammed SVGA Controller, it would be cool to compare it with yours. So you put display controller and memory controller to 3S50AN?

Dzun

U¿ytkownik "Dzun" napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci news:pICdnQ9U4sfeAmDRnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

Hi,

Text mode VGA card with serial interface. But support only 640x480 60Hz.

Best regards JarekC

Reply to
Jarek

Yep, I need something with SVGA - and to be able to display graphics,not only a text. But thanks anyway:)

Dzun

dy

OMAP, Atom, etc. is not necessary - even a simple chip like CL-EP7312 can do VGA output.

I know several people have made SBCs (selling for $120 or so) based around the Sharp BlueStreak parts (now NXP).

Reply to
larwe

Yes. The 3S50AN has an MCU bus interface, write cache, SDRAM engine, CRTC, and TMDS encoder, all internal. I just wired up an SDRAM chip and DVI connector and let the FPGA do the rest. I still have a bunch of verilog work to do to make it more streamlined internally though, like keeping the current sdram page open for sequential writes.

Mine only does graphics mode, too - I haven't tried hooking up the internal extra flash as a character bitmap yet for character-based modes.

Reply to
DJ Delorie