microcontroller for USB docking station

Hello, I am looking for help in hardware design of USB docking station. I have a list of ports that are to be included in the USB docking station. I am looking for suggestions in selecting the controllers for the functioning of ports. Is it possible that I can do this using FPGAs?

Thanks for your assistance

Reply to
s45

Depends what your docking station is doing!

You may just need a bunch of wires to connect the device being docked to a USB cable, you may need to put a USB device in there or evevn a USB hub chip.

As there are more types of docking stations than flavours of ice cream som e more information is needed to know what the docking station has to do and what functionality and I/O is available on the device being docked.

    PC Services
             For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul Carpenter

Hi,

Carpenter, Thanks for ur reply.

My USB docking station would be a high speed docking station with multimedia support. It would have serial, parallel port, number of USB ports, ethernet port, VGA port and ps2. I am tring to find a chip for USB hub(now i have found one IC) and other chips or ICs which would enable me to add all these ports and try to make a hardware board for the USB docking station. Any help regarding this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

S45

Reply to
S45

Atmel AT32AP7000

  • USB Device High Speed
  • serial 4 ports
  • parallel port Bus interface may need a CPLD
  • number of USBports Use external HUB
  • ethernet port 10/100 Mbit
  • VGA port LCD controller can be connected to external LCD->VGA
  • ps/2 2 ports

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson

If you want a PC on a small card (Single Board Computer - SBC) why don't you just get one and a USB hub.

Try looking at PC104 formats, maing a PC104 card with USB hub and other parts on would be relatively easy.

Anyway for a multimedia docking station, what is going to make it better than an existing PC or other devices?

    PC Services
             For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul Carpenter

Thanks for ur replies

I have a small board containing a processor, which supports VGA output. The board has a USB input (2 pin) and VGA output. I wish to connect a USB hub controller (for example 1:7 hub) to that small board (VGA processor board) through one of the USB outputs. The rest 6 ports of the USB hub controller I wish to connect to serial, parallel, audio, ps2, Ethernet and USB ports as output. I am looking for readymade boards containing processor(s), which can do these functions. Any suggestions? The final hardware would be a USB docking station board using the given VGA processor (mandatory) for me. Thanks

Paul Carpenter wrote:

Reply to
S45

Thanks for ur replies.

I have a small board containing a processor, which supports VGA output. The board has a USB input (2 pin) and VGA output.

I wish to connect a USB hub controller (for example 1:7 hub) to that small board (VGA processor board) through one of the USB outputs. The rest 6 ports of the USB hub controller I wish to connect to serial, parallel, audio, ps2, Ethernet and USB ports as output. The USB hub controller itself is connected from PC/Laptop thru a single USB communication. Is it possible that I can get any readymade board containing processor(s), which can do these functions(6 port outputs) and can be connected to the VGA processor board thru USB.

Any suggestions?

I wish to make this hardware as ready to use without any software/driver development. The final hardware would function as an USB docking station (containing the VGA processor board and the needed board(s)). How shall I proceed?

Thanks

Reply to
S45

A few question please.

Is this an off the shelf board ? Where did you get it ?

USB input 2-pin ???? What does this mean ?? Is this a USB master or slave ??

Thanks

donald

Reply to
Donald

Hi,

Yes its an off the shelf board containing the graphics decoder chip.

Its just a USB. I meant 2 pin omitting the Vbus and GND.

Thanks

D> > Thanks for ur replies.

Reply to
S45

"S45" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@n67g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...

The STK1000 evaluation kit for the AP7000 will, when connected to a USB hub do what you want (except for the parallel port where you need some extra logic).

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson