Microchip Introduces First 16-bit Microcontroller Product Line - the PIC24

http://microcontroller.com/news/microchip_pic24.asp

Up to 40MIPS performance, up to 256Kbytes Flash, a 23-bit address bus, and
Microchip's benchmarks show that it's faster than the Infineon C16X. A parts
selection matrix is included.

- Bill Giovino
   Executive Editor
   http://Microcontroller.com

Re: Microchip Introduces First 16-bit Microcontroller Product Line - the PIC24
Re: Microchip Introduces First 16-bit Microcontroller Product Line - the
PIC24

Of course, I mean MICROCHIP's *first* 16-bit microcontroller...

Re: Microchip Introduces First 16-bit Microcontroller Product Line - the PIC24

  Err, isn't this just a subset/respin of the dsPIC, so it't not
actually even Microchip's first 16 bit controller ?

  [ but facts never get in the way of a good marketing banner...]

-jg

Re: Microchip Introduces First 16-bit Microcontroller Product Line - the PIC24

Maybe someone should tell Microchip about the XC166 ?
[Oh yes, that would make the Pic24 look worse, so that's why they'll
be keen to compare with a 15 year old core.... ]

-jg

Re: Microchip Introduces First 16-bit Microcontroller Product Li
ouch... hammer that 'marketing'.. touchee

Re: Microchip Introduces First 16-bit Microcontroller Product Line - the PIC24

parts

They mean of course "their" first 16 microcontroller product..

shame.. I guess they gave up with the 8 bit trash and are now attempting to
poison the 16 bit market

Just another "me too product"..
probably have to wait  another 2 years for a useable c compiler to boot...

Re: Microchip Introduces First 16-bit Microcontroller Product Line - the PIC24

I wish some of the other micro producers would give as comprehensive a
coverage as Microchip. Their core architecture may be foul, but the
selection of packages (including DIP), peripherals, operating voltages,
and availability of development stuff leaves me utterly jealous.

Paul Burke

Re: Microchip Introduces First 16-bit Microcontroller Product Line - the PIC24

Why, the 8051 has it beaten every way.

Ian

Re: Microchip Introduces First 16-bit Microcontroller Product Line - the PIC24

Especially for the vile arhitecture.

Re: Microchip Introduces First 16-bit Microcontroller Product Line - the PIC24

Surely you jest. It's architecture is orders of magnitude less vile than
that of the PIC and its bit oriented instructions are a boon.

Ian

Re: Microchip Introduces First 16-bit Microcontroller Product Line - the PIC24

The first time I used an 8051, I thought it was the most convoluted
piece of crap that had ever been devised.

Until I ran across the PIC, which would be a total waste of beach sand
if Microchip didn't support it so well.

Regards,

                               -=Dave
--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.

Re: Microchip Introduces First 16-bit Microcontroller Product Line - the PIC24

Never used it's predecessor, the 8048, eh?  After the 8048, the
8051 seemed like a PDP-11.

So far, I've avoided the PIC, but I still have "fond" memories
of shuffling 8048 assembly language code around to try to get
the page boundaries in the right places.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Civilization is
                                  at               fun! Anyway, it keeps

Sounds just like the fun of juggling AVR code around to get all the relative
branches in range.....

Re: Microchip Introduces First 16-bit Microcontroller Product Line - the PIC24
On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 14:50:42 GMT, the renowned Mike Harrison

branches in range.....

Worse. The 8048 did branches by just shoving the lower 8 bits of the
target address into the PC-- so even code that "looked" very close
might not be within range, and if you added or subtracted one
instruction near the beginning of the code it could affect (break)
branches throughout the rest of the program. The 8051 replaced that
with relative branches.

Nice code density, though.

Say, is there anyone programming the ARM7 in assembly?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: Microchip Introduces First 16-bit Microcontroller Product Line - the PIC24

And it seems like it usually did...

Just the usual bits of RTOS glue and things like an IP checksum
routine (it was surprisingly difficult to beat the BSD stack's
C version).

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  My haircut is totally
                                  at               traditional!

It looks like it might actually be pleasant to program in assembly if
you have a suitable application (small and not too C-appropriate) and
decent tools (especially a good simulator).

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: Microchip Introduces First 16-bit Microcontroller Product Line - the PIC24

It's quite nice to program in assembly.  Though it's called a
"RISC" processor, the user doesn't have to worry about
pipelines, instruction scheduling, delayed branching or any of
that sort of stuff.

However, I found it takes a bit of thought to get the most out
of a couple features:

 1) All arithmetic instructions can affect the flags or not,
    depending on the user's wishes.  That can lead to some
    pretty slick control structures where the conditional
    branch isn't dependent on the most recently executed
    arithmetic instruction but rather a prior one.

 2) The arithmetic instructions can all do a shift on one of
    the operands before doing the "normal" operation called for
    by the instruction.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I don't understand
                                  at               the HUMOUR of the THREE
Re: Microchip Introduces First 16-bit Microcontroller Product Line - the PIC24

branches in range.....

That's a different story - fixed pages a la PDP-8, 8048 and PIC are
much more troublesome than limited relative addresses (like AVR
and many others).

It's pretty easy to control the relative address range
by keeping each function strictly KISS. Combining several
KISS pieces to fit the fixed pages is much more like attempting
to sit on NATO barbed wire (= PITA).

Me. But just those pieces that do not work in C. Kind of
initial hardware startup and lowest-level exception handling
(examples provided on request).

All true RISC processors are royal pain to program in assembler,
ARM is actually at the easier end of scale (try a Sparc or MIPS).

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

Re: Microchip Introduces First 16-bit Microcontroller Product Line - the PIC24
On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 11:55:37 -0400, Spehro Pefhany

branches in range.....

I wrote a ton of assembler back when it was only ARM2  - really nice to work
with - only pain was
keeping track of which registers you'd used for what....

Re: Microchip Introduces First 16-bit Microcontroller Product Line - the PIC24

Well, somewhere around the Cambridge, UK diaspora are a *lot* of people
who programmed ARM2,3,6,7 and StrongARM for years in assembly and C: the
old Acorn developers and users.

*Lovely* assembly language. Designed by someone who had written a *lot*
of 6502, and wanted a better one.

cheers, Rich.

--
rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | snipped-for-privacy@shadow.org.uk
technical director     251 Liverpool Road   |