Makefile or not? - Page 3

Re: Makefile or not?

IDE's are extremely useful tools - as long as you use them for their
strengths, and not their weaknesses.  I use "make" for my builds, but I
use an IDE for any serious development work.  A good quality editor,
with syntax highlighting, navigation, as-you-type checking, integration
with errors and warnings from the builds - it is invaluable as a
development tool.

Re: Makefile or not?

We use cmake for that--it allows unit testing on a PC, as you say, and
also automates the process of finding libraries, e.g. for emulating
peripherals.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

How does it automate finding emulation libraries?  That sounds like a
cool feature.

We use GNU Makefiles, but we handle the matching up of emulation
libraries with the real thing by hand.  We then typically use different
source directories for emulation libraries and actual drivers.

Greetings,

Jacob
--
A password should be like a toothbrush. Use it every day;
change it regularly; and DON'T share it with friends.

Re: Makefile or not?

I'll ask my colleague who's doing most of the work on that.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

If you aren't afraid of Python, take a look at scons. I usually use scons
to do the compilation and makefile to do everything else.

--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lSzL1DqQn0

Site Timeline