Low cost, easy programmable logic controller?

Hi Folks,

Is there an easy and low cost PLC unit? Something around $100 or less?

The reason I ask is home use. When you install a PLC to, say, control
pool equipment then it has to be nearly as easy to understand as
programming a lawn sprinkler unit. Sure, we should all be able to
program it but some day a house might be sold and then the new owners
may not be so versed in that field. At least they should be able to find
someone locally to program it.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Re: Low cost, easy programmable logic controller?

You may try:
http://web6.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/PLC_Hardware

The 05 units are low cost - but then you have to buy the programming
software, etc.

Regards,
Richard.

http://www.FreeRTOS.org

Re: Low cost, easy programmable logic controller?
Hi Richard,

Thanks. The SW for the 05 is just $99 which is reasonable. But you need
cables and stuff where I don't understand why they don't provide memory
stick programming or some other more practical approach. Dragging a
laptop to the location of a PLC seems kind of antiquated.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Re: Low cost, easy programmable logic controller?
You will find out that PLC controllers are built for those who don't
know how to program or understand electricity.

So what you don't understand is how they ( PLC people ) do buisness.

Sad but true.

PLCs are a way of life, tho its the lowest form.

Re: Low cost, easy programmable logic controller?
Hi Hamilton,

Well, they must at least be able to connect it right and program it via
a PC.

That is true. I don't know why it is next to impossible to buy these
things a regular hardware stores. There are plenty of applications where
you need the ruggedized performance of PLC and the use of a PC isn't
possible. It's no big deal to roll your own with a uC but then you have
yet another 'island solution' instead of using standard hardware.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Re: Low cost, easy programmable logic controller?

Siemens "LOGO" or Moeller "Easy", if they are sufficient (few I/Os only).

--
Dipl.-Ing. Tilmann Reh
Autometer GmbH Siegen - Elektronik nach Maß.

Many thanks. These look great. Despite quite some searching I couldn't
identify a local sales outlet near Sacramento with prices and all. The
Siemens web site wasn't much help either but that doesn't surprise me
anymore. So, I sent a request to Siemens.

German companies often have great products but when it comes to sales on
a more local level that's another matter. Even our weatherproof Kettler
ping pong table took us half a day to find. The purchase of stuff from
the teutonic regions doesn't just require money but at times also a lot
of persistence.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Re: Low cost, easy programmable logic controller?
I had a LOGO unit here the other day,said what a neat unit but I had no use
for it. Manuals from the web said sw built into it.tried it out ,said, yeah
OK, but had no use for it, tossed it out.
Oh well.....someday I gotta clean out both basement,the garage and the shop.