low cost CRT controller for ARM9

We are looking around for cheap CRT controller which to add to our new
ARM9 development board.
So far Seiko-Epson S1D13506 and Asiliant 65550 took our attention.
Any experience with the above two?
Is there better options which we missed?

Thanks
Tsvetan
---
PCB prototypes for $26 at http://run.to/pcb (http://www.olimex.com/pcb )
PCB any volume assembly (http://www.olimex.com/pcb/protoa.html )
Re: low cost CRT controller for ARM9

Does your part have PCI on it? If not, Epson is the easier choice.

Re: low cost CRT controller for ARM9
Hi,

no, this board have no PCI, actually both CRT controllers above are
over featured for what we intend to build and the graphics will be
extremly slow I guess, something like 640x480 4 bit color will be
enough for our application as our bus is 66Mhz x 32 bit - Cirrus
EP9301, but all chips with these specs I see are either obsolete either
discontinued products :)

Tsvetan

Re: low cost CRT controller for ARM9

If you don't have a PCI bridge already, then forget about the C&T part.
Anyway, it's a VERY old part based on ancient technology, it's all 5V
and hot and nasty. The Epson parts have the complementary pleasure of
being expensive and poorly documented.

For low resolution stuff I'd look seriously at the possibility of using
an ARM7 SoC as a slave for display control, e.g. Sharp LH79520 (or, if
you like Cirrus Logic, maybe EP7312, but the resolution is very
limited). Run the part in TFT mode and use a DAC or even just R-2R
ladder to turn the LCD color data into an analog voltage.

Re: low cost CRT controller for ARM9

For such low resolutions (640x480x4), you can probably do it in an FPGA
driving some Rs.  Alternatively, some high end ARMs have build-in CRT
or LCD controllers.  It might be cheaper than having two separate chips.

Re: low cost CRT controller for ARM9

Just open the cheapest PDA and you will see what you need - Samsung S3C2410.

Re: low cost CRT controller for ARM9

Hi Tsvetan, there may be some ideas that interest you at:
http://www.dontronics.com/micro-vga.html
http://www.dontronics.com/micro-lcd.html

Don...

--