logic analyzer question

Anyone know of a logic analyzer that connects to the PC parallel port
for around $200? I did the Google bit and at about 7000 sites I don't
have the time to look at all of them.

S/B
8 channels min
40 meg sample rate min
8k deep memory
Run on a Pen 2.6g Win XP or a 486 Win 95 ( My solar powered laptop )

I did think about building one, I should have all the parts in the shop,
but then there is the software to read and show it. That might take
longer then my current project.

Thanks for any help
Bob

Re: logic analyzer question

Bob...

I bought one of these and like it:

    http://www.rockylogic.com/products/ant8.html

--
Morris Dovey
West Des Moines, Iowa USA

Re: logic analyzer question

again

Why not get an older logic analyzer off ebay or www.govliquidation for
peanuts ($100).
Something like a 1630D would do nicely.

Re: logic analyzer question

He's got a 16-channel one too, just $300, with 2k buffer.  Close to the
OPs specs.  Close enough for me, anyway.

http://www.rockylogic.com/products/ant16.html

--
____________________________________
Christopher R. Carlen

There's this http://www.linkinstruments.com/lapar.htm but it's out of
the price range. Bound to be some used ones out there, though.

I have one of their LA-4000 series hanging off a USB port. Even though
we have a couple of HP logic analyzers around the lab, I usually use the
LA-4540. Does what I need and it's really handy to be able to print to a
network printer or do a screen capture to attach to an e-mail. Also one
less big box to try to cram onto an already crowded workbench.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA

Re: logic analyzer question

Don't.

A logic analyzer is a precision measuring instrument.  It is hard enough to get
one channel clean and calibrated, to the point that what you see on the screen
is an accurate representation of what is happening at the probe tip.  To do an
8-channel logic analyzer, you have to get 8 channels clean, calibrated, and
CONSISTENT, so that what you see on the screen accurately represents what is
happening SIMULTANEOUSLY at ALL 8 probe tips.

Re: logic analyzer question
Thanks for the help!

I will look at the ant8 and ebay.
I did find one that looked good, till I looked at the buffer, it was 128
bytes.

Bob

Re: logic analyzer question
What's S/B stand for?

- for email, put the word "keep" in subject line -

Re: logic analyzer question

Sound Blaster
Solomon Islands
Senate Bill
Antimony
Solid brass
Semi-bold

and there's probably something else it should be.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA

Re: logic analyzer question
s/b = Should Be
They used it a lot in the repair manuals for the test fixtures at
Digital Computers. ( Old habit )

Sorry
Bob

Re: logic analyzer question

Erm... look closer  -->                   ^^^^^^^^^

My fault for attempting to be overly clever.  ';-)

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA

Site Timeline