How to configure a network device with dynamic IP address?

I would like to develop an embedded device that has an Ethernet
interface connected to a home or corporate LAN. As part of the
requirement, the user should be able to configure the device via a web
page or alike, just like we configure a router with a computer. Say
you type in "http://192.168.1.1 ", and get into a page for
configuration, modify the settings then save it to the router.

I would like to know how to make my device configurable in a similar
manner. For now assume my device has a static IP address, and the user
and the device are in the same local network. Is there any
documentatons or application notes available about how to write the
firmware to accomodate this functionalities? Is it a job that requires
several man-week at least or just a few man-day maximum?  I need some
gust feeling.

If my device has a static IP address, but the user and the device are
NOT in the same local network, is it still OK to  configure the device
in a similar manner (via a webpage)?  How many days this job might
take?

Moreover, if my device has to behave as a DHCP client or just a host,
with dynamic IP address allocated by the router or ISP. If the user
and the device are NOT in the same local network,  is it still OK to
configure the device in a similar manner (via a webpage)?  The IP
address of the device is unknown beforehand for DHCP, however, since
most ISPs support DNS so I think it is reasonably to assume the
dynamic IP address of the device can be achieved. How many days or
weeks this job might take IF IT IS FEASIBLE?

Thank you in advance!

Re: How to configure a network device with dynamic IP address?

It is all pretty straightforward once you know enough about subnetworks,
routing, default gateways and the DHCP protocol.

Depends how much software you buy and how much you have to write
yourself.  And how many configuration parameters there are, the way they
are input and whether you have to do bounds checking.

Only if a router is correctly set up between the networks.

It depends.

Only if a router is correctly set up between the networks.

Not all ISP's allow you to add arbitrary names to their DNS system.  And
if they do, they ask money for the service.

http://www.opera.com/mail /