Henessy & Patterson new edition Computer Architecture pubbing 9/15/06

I don't want to spam, but I noticed someone referenced this book as a "must-have" on the comp.arch group I work for the publisher that is printing a new edition in September and would love to garner exposure for it in this forum.

I don't want to appear as though I am spamming though so let me know if it is okay to provide more details. I can also provide an offer code that will give members of this board a 20% discount and free shipping. Amazon does not sell this book at a discounted price.

Thanks all,

Tara

Reply to
Tara

*Very* interested here! Offer-code welcome!

A TOC listing would be nice... expecially the new/changed sections!

--
Johannes
You can have it:

Seconded. A short description of the differences between the third edition and the new edition would be welcome.

-p

--
"Unix is user friendly, it's just picky about who its friends are."
 - Anonymous

Thanks all for your enthusiasm about the book.

Go to

and use offer code 85068 to get 20% off and free shipping. Note: this only works in the U.S. for pre-orders. Outside U.S. you must wait for the book to officially publish before the book is available for ordering (something about our company not being allowed to hold credit cards without an actual product changing hands).

Below are some of the requested details about the book. Please tell all you friends to buy a copy. ;-) Thanks - Tara

"If Neil Armstrong offers to give you a tour of the lunar module, or Tiger Woods asks you to go play golf with him, you should do it. When Hennessy and Patterson offer to lead you on a tour of where computer architecture is going, they call it Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach, 4th Edition. You need one. Tours leave on the hour." -Robert Colwell, Intel lead architect

Today, Intel and other semiconductor firms are abandoning the single fast processor model in favor of multi-core microprocessors--chips that combine two or more processors in a single package. In the fourth edition of Computer Architecture, the authors focus on this historic shift, increasing their coverage of multiprocessors and exploring the most effective ways of achieving parallelism as the key to unlocking the power of multiple processor architectures. Additionally, the new edition has expanded and updated coverage of design topics beyond processor performance, including power, reliability, availability, and dependability.

  • Increased coverage on achieving parallelism with multiprocessors
  • Case studies of latest technology from industry including the Sun Niagara Multiprocessor, AMD Opteron, and Pentium 4
  • Three review appendices, included in the printed volume, review the basic and intermediate principles the main text relies upon
  • Eight reference appendices, collected on the CD, cover a range of topics including specific architectures, embedded systems, application specific processors--some guest authored by subject experts

Main Text

Chapter 1: Fundamentals of Computer Design Chapter 2: Instruction-level Parallelism and its Exploitation Chapter 3: Advanced Techniques for Exploiting Instruction-level Parallelism and their Limits Chapter 4: Multiprocessors and Thread-level Parallelism Chapter 5: Memory Hierarchy Design Chapter 6: Storage Systems Appendix A: Pipelining: Basic and Intermediate Concepts Appendix B: Instruction Set Principles and Examples Appendix C: Introduction to Memory Hierarchy

CD Appendix D: Embedded Systems (contributor: Thomas M. Conte, North Carolina State University) Appendix E: Interconnection Networks (contributor: Timothy M. Pinkston, USC and Jose Duato, Simula) Appendix F: Vector Processors (contributor: Krste Asanovic, MIT) Appendix G: Hardware and Software for VLIW and EPIC Appendix H: Large-Scale Multiprocessors and Scientific Apps Appendix I: Computer Arithmetic (contributor: David Goldberg, Xerox PARC) Appendix J: Survey of Instruction Set Architectures Appendix K: Historical Perspectives with References

Reply to
Tara

I find the price excessive, and to top it all you attempt to charge sales tax on a mail-order item from outside your state (cal). In addition the alleged mechanism for cancelling an order doesn't work.

In addition, the fact that you are posting from google is suspicious.

--
 Some informative links:
   http://www.geocities.com/nnqweb/
   http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html
CBFalconer

Ouch. That hurts :-) I know. That's a problem with the bookkeepers. Having it here now and then too. So I'll have to wait till the end of october. No problem :-)...

[snipping great content]
--
Johannes
You can have it:
Quick, Accurate, Inexpensive.
Pick two.
Reply to
John F

It's one of the half-dozen or so classics of computer architecture and a

*lot* of daft questions here would be answered by reading it, so I think an official announcement would be very welcome.

pete

--
pete@fenelon.com "I once coaxed a dog into a library" - Tommy Saxondale
Reply to

The price is actually $20 less than previous edition and I am offering a discount code that provides an add'l 20% off that price and free shipping. Sales tax is charged based on the state your credit card is billed in. I don't 'attempt' to charge a tax that is in any way deceptive.

What 'alleged mechanism' are you referring to?

What does this mean? How else would I post to a Google group? 'Suspicious' implies I am attempting to deceive people in some way. Is this what you are intimating?

CBFalc> > Paul Gotch wrote:

Reply to
Tara

... snip ...

The button that, IIRC, claims to cancel the whole purchase at the final point. It does nothing.

You are not posting to a google group, you are posting to usenet using the flawed google interface. Google posts come from all sorts, many of whom are ignorant, and also many of whom are attempting some sort of scam or other. The handling of credit cards (insisting on knowing the 3 digit security code) is highly suspicious.

--
"The smaller aperture of the lid has been designed to prevent
 hedgehogs from entering the McFlurry container in the

I am not nearly as adept and superior at usenet technology as you obviously are. If you are suspicious of my intentions, so be it. There is nothing I can do about it. If you buy your books from Amazon, you'll sprobably sleep better knowing your data is secure. Lots of scams out there, no doubt. This isn't a scam, but you have every right to your opinion and I respect that.

Have a nice day.

CBFalc> > CBFalc> >

Reply to
Tara

OK, where do you normally get your technical books from? From your comment I was expecting a price 2-3x what was quoted.

Unfortunately ISPs are getting away with no longer offering newsgroup support so Google becomes a primary introduction for a lot of people. And for some of us the only other alternative would appear to be adding considerably to our normal fees to get regular access. On the upside with RSS feeds the Google interface is getting within striking distance of a simple 1980s news reader. Still needs a little work to get there....

Robert

Reply to
Robert Adsett

Thanks for the offer code without extra shipping charges. Appreciated.

I'm not particularly happy about Elsevier owning Morgan Kaufman. As I understand it, Elsevier has been singled out by Stanford, the University of California, Harvard University and Duke University (to my immediate recollection) to discontinue their Elseview journal subscriptions. Many scientists I know also refuse to peer-review Elsevier papers. Free public access to science papers is vital and Elsevier stands fairly in a uniquely detrimental position, it seems.

Not good company to keep, imho.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

- Many simply can't access newsgroups from work. Me, too. So, I also use google groups, for example. And yes, I know usenet, since the times of BBS and acoustic couplers.

- BTW, the price is roughly half what I paid here in Italy many years ago, when I was a student. THAT was a robbery.

So... what's the problem, here ?

Thanks Tara for your "commercial", announce of a new edition of Hannessy and Patterson is not just "spamming", it's good news.

Reply to
Antonio Pasini

... snip ...

Note that the price was for a paperback. For a hardback I would not have the same opinion. The final blow was being charged sales tax from a California outfit, while I am in New England. Maybe I over-reacted.

--
"The smaller aperture of the lid has been designed to prevent
 hedgehogs from entering the McFlurry container in the
 unfortunate incidence that the lid is littered"
                  -- McDonalds, as quoted in Time, 2006-09-11
Reply to
CBFalconer

After the introduction of "Chip & PIN" processing for cards, most merchants are now required to ask for this information for what are termed "card not present" transactions.

Stephen

--
Stephen Pelc, stephenXXX@mpeforth.com
tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, fax: +44 (0)23 8033 9691

CBFalconer wrote: The final blow was being charged sales

I live in New Hampshire. If I were to purchase something on line and have it delivered to my home, I would not pay state sales tax because New Hampshire soes not have state sales tax. If I lived in Massachusetts, I would be charged 5% sales tax because that is the Massachusetts state sales tax. It does not have anything to do with where the product comes from, but rather where the product ships to.

Reply to
Tara

Jon -

This is not the first time I've heard this from people. It is tantamount to having a cousin that gives the whole family a bad name. I am in the books division and we hear about this quite often at conferences. I wasn't aware that the scientific community expected subscription fees to be abandoned altogether though. I only heard complaints that Elsevier maintained very high prices for journal subscriptions. I believe there is an initiative to move in this direction, but I don't know the details...as I said, the journals group is a distant cousin based in Amsterdam and Oxford. Does that hold true for other publishers like Wiley? Is there pressure on them to do the same?

Tara

Reply to
Tara

At least in the UK the security code was added a few years _before_ Chip and PIN specifically for cardholder not present.

Chip and PIN was for 'cardholder' present being the REAL cardholder as 90% of establishments with minimum or not much above minimum wage staff were never checking the signature anyway.

    PC Services
             For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul Carpenter

Indeed.

Interesting way to put it.

In regards to journal subscriptions themselves, and not other issues, it seems to be at least, if not other things, that Elsevier is singled out as being uniquely expensive. Policies may mention "high cost" as a general problem, but will name Elsevier by name in their policy, as well, and no one else. So that makes me think that Elsevier is a special problem. But I could be wrong.

Ah. Yes, that's my take, too. However, Elsevier is mentioned by name and their journal subscriptions called out for cancellation. Which is what I meant in what I said. Probably said it not as well as I should have.

But this isn't just about high subscription costs. It's about something more than that. It's also about the peer-review process and open access to science knowledge. Scientists are especially concerned about this, like few may be. Several scientists I know have put their foot down, so to speak, and simply refuse to review for, submit to, or subscribe to journals that are not providing open access after 6 months (for example.) This kind of policy actually means that scientists are refusing to even participate in peer-review of papers from Elsevier, for example, or to submit them for review through their journals. I think this is an entirely _right minded_ approach, by the way. I agree with it, wholeheartedly.

The personal policy by individual scientists like those I'm referring to applies to _any_ publisher. At that level, it is simply about fair licencing and open access to scientists' results. 6 months is enough time.

How Elsevier's policies may impact Morgan Kaufman's, I don't know. But I believe it _may_ impact at least some authors' considerations about who they also publish with. I can't say, though.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

As I understand the situation (and I'm no expert), the sales tax cannot be charged based upon the destination unless the corporation has a business entity located in that state. I know this because I live in a state without sales tax (Oregon) and there are some businesses I've been involved with that had offices in several states, but not all of them. They were required to charge sales tax in those states where they had located an active business entity, but not most of the states. The way I understand this is that states are not permitted to interfere with inter-state transactions -- they simply do not have the authority for it. Only within their own boundaries.

This is something that goes back to before when the union was formed and because of economic battles that sometimes raged between the states. So it's not new.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan