Help corrupted Usb file tranfer to embedded device????

Hi, we have a task which requires downloading a file to a embedded device over USB. The transfer type is bulk and take can take several seconds. The device receiving requires a un interrupted download.

On System computer A I can download and operate the device, on computer system B I can download but not control the device. If I download from system A, then switch to system B I can control the device system.

The type of failure which ocuurs in the embedded device is repeatable, when downloading from system B.. Both host system are identical hardware/software wise and were purchased at the same time. We buid a new computer system same results

I believe that the USB transfer may be interrupted using computer system B, cauisng the download to become corrupted.

I checked the drivers for the device and Xp, they are the same for both computer. I tested system B in safe mode, same results

Could system B have a process which would interrupt the transfer? If so How to determine which one? Any Ideals? I don't know what else to try

slxrti

Reply to
slxrti

What do you mean by "uninterrupted"? Bandwidth for bulk transfers is allocated on an "as available" basis by the USB host controller. You have no way to guarantee the rate of download nor whether every single frame will contain packets for that endpoint.

No two windows machines are "identical".

Again, any device that requires an "uninterrupted bulk transfer" is severely broken. Chuck it.

Regards,

--
Mark McDougall, Engineer
Virtual Logic Pty Ltd,

In the short term I'm stuck with the hardware. I would like to better understand what I'm up against.

I understand now that a bulk tranfer is not optimal, but this was the way it was designed. What would you suggest?

In my example there were only one device pluged into each of the the usb port. This maybe totally insane, but if can undersand the differents between the two system, then it would provide some breathing room for a long tern solution.

Do you have any suggestions on what to look for?

thanks

Reply to
slxrti

Without knowing the specifics of your circumstances, I doubt I can offer any helpful suggestions. Is this custom (in-house) hardware? What evidence do you have that an "interruption" is the cause of the problem?

One thing you could try is to swap hard-disks between the 2 machines. Then you should be able to determine whether it's a hardware or software mismatch, depending on whether the problem follows the hard-disk or stays on the same motherboard.

If it follows the hard disk, then try ghosting the working drive onto the

2nd - you should then have identical snapshots.

That's it - I'm wiping my hands here! Even if the above works for whatever bizzare reason, I still wouldn't want to be in your shoes! ;)

Regards,