Big-Endian vs. Little-Endian - Page 4

Re: Big-Endian vs. Little-Endian

That's an arbitrary decision.  It would be just as easy to subtract
the offset from the PC and to have a decrementing PC.  Granted, it's
not usually done that way, but that's just because humans are used
to couinting up.

Re: Big-Endian vs. Little-Endian

The preceding makes no sense at all.  It doesn't have
any basis in reality, past, present, or futre.

Re: Big-Endian vs. Little-Endian

It's changing in Norwegian - the "four and twenty" ordering is gradually
being replaced by "twenty four" ordering, which has been taught in schools
for a few decades now.

Re: Big-Endian vs. Little-Endian

This is interesting. Our language (not english) still has
it this way. Any hints on when and on what occasion that
was changed.

Rene

Re: Big-Endian vs. Little-Endian

My assertion about LtoR was wrong - it does not matter which way you're
going, but I still assert that MSD first is natural to an advanced
thinker. When you have a number such as 123,456,678, do you want to
think "123 million", or "678 plus a large number"? That's my
modern anthropic argument, regardless or LtoR.

That is assuming that you start processing the digits as you come
across them, rather than all at once, which is maybe another fallacy.
Do you visually gulp numbers, or start thinking about them MSD to LSD?

Creepy, Soulless Gigolo for President ? NOT !
Re: Big-Endian vs. Little-Endian

But let's not forget that we're talking about *computers*, here, not
human beings.  Calling a typical embedded CPU an "advanced thinker"
would be quite a stretch of the imagination, wouldn't you agree?

One thing that speaks against big-endian in written numbers for human
beings is that you can't really read them out in the order they're
written, anyway.  You have to first count the digits before you can
start, which means you have to go back and forth at least once.  If
numbers were written in little-endian, you could start reading them as
the digits come by, and just keep on using larger multipliers until
you reach the end of the strings of digits.

Actually, when you go and really *process* digits of a multi-digit
number, e.g. you add or multiply long numbers on paper, you'll find
yourself doing it from the LSD to the MSD, not the other way round,
because just like the early CPUs, it's easier to work in the same
direction the carry is handed over.