Batteries for PC/104

We have a small PC/104 device that performs some input logging. The
problem is we don't have any UPS system attached to it.
Does anyone know of any inexpensive (around $100) UPS systems for PC/104
? We only need enough power to perform a proper shutdown.

Many thanks,

Wim

Re: Batteries for PC/104

Does your PC104 card have any power supply on it at all? If not you should
perhaps consider making your own UPS system. A DC-DC converter (or two)
delivering the PSU voltages the PC104 card requires, a battery pack that
has enough capacity to keep your system going for as long as you need it to
and a battery float charger. You need to ensure that, when the mains supply
fails, the charger is not responsible for any of the discharge.

Re: Batteries for PC/104

I'm using a standard 230VAC-to-5VDC power supply that I hook up to the PC104
CPU board.
Basically, what you're suggesting is putting a standard battery (for example a
12V) in between and thus using a 230VAC-to-5VDC, then the battery, then a
12VDC-to-5VDC converter ?

Wim

Re: Batteries for PC/104

Almost right. Use a 230V to 12V PSU/Charger (to float a 12V battery) then
the 12V DC to 5V DC converter which will power your board. I know it seems
a bit strange but there is a huge loss of efficiency using a UPS system
that down-converts the 230V to a DC battery voltage then convert the DC
battery voltage to 230V AC. Your average laptop does things the way I
suggest. Yes, you will need to pay a little more attention to the
PSU/Charger item so that the battery is properly looked after. The DC DC
converters for after the battery are fairly common place these days.