Any practical DSP app notes for TI?

Hello All,

TI's web site is, for the most part, pretty good. However, I find their
DSP section shallow and horrible. Lots of glitz and fluff, not nearly as
much "meat" as on their MSP430 section. Worst is when the site starts
some stupid applet that brings it to a crawl. IOW, quite useless to me.

What I am looking for: Info about what size (and cost...) DSP can do how
much in terms of running an FFT and other stuff. Pretty much like an app
note. What is the best source for that? Doesn't have to be TI although
their 5000 series DSP seem to be favorable since they come in varieties
under $4 a pop.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Re: Any practical DSP app notes for TI?
There is *lots* of information, technical specs, application notes, etc.,
in their DSP village web site:

http://dspvillage.ti.com/docs/dspvillagehome.jhtml?
DCMP=TIHomeTracking&HQS=Other+OT+home_p_dsp

Here's a (free) DSP library for the C55x:

http://focus.ti.com/docs/toolsw/folders/print/sprc100.html

You'll have to navigate a bit around the site, but I'm sure you'll find
what you're looking for.

HTH,
George

$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com:

Re: Any practical DSP app notes for TI?
Hello George,

That's the one I had tried. The second it begins to load
"ehg.ti-hitbox.com" the browsers (several) on several PCs slow to a
crawl and after a while a warning comes up that an applet is slowing
down the browser. The only way out so far was to right click the
browser, shut it down and re-open it. Why can't they keep it simple like
with the MSP section?

The only other site where that happens is Philips which is why I stopped
designing in their parts. With them it seems that is because some
corporate whiz kid thought that every engineer needs to see their stock
quote all the time.

Thanks! That is going to be really helpful. AD has something like that
as well but their DSP prices are too high for most of my projects. Wish
they had kept ye olde 2105. That one was very cheap, even back in the
early 90's.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Re: Any practical DSP app notes for TI?

Why not direct that comment to the Philips Webmaster ?

http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/support/form.php?QTypeID=9&lang =
[ Seems to miss the stock quote :) ]

Then, they can fix the website, and you can use their parts again....

-jg

Re: Any practical DSP app notes for TI?
Hello Jim,

Been there, done that. I even wrote the top brass of some companies
(including Philips). No answer. Oh well, at least I can say that I
tried. Overall I've pretty much had it with many of the EU semi
companies anyway. The last bout with one was a few weeks ago when it
took more than a dozen wake up calls to get samples. Well, at some point
after I climbed up the hierarchy apologies were made and samples were
promised. They never came and one of my clients was a bit miffed.

Why is it that National, TI, etc. are so much more efficient? Not just
in web site design, also in responsiveness to the customer. At least in
my design practice it has paid off handsomely for them.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Re: Any practical DSP app notes for TI?

  Today, I got the same annoying stall-on-Stock-price nonsense, so
I also lobbed a scud their way, and started my 'will they fix it?'
timer...
-jg

Re: Any practical DSP app notes for TI?
Hello Jim,

They won't fix it. Sometimes I wish I was the CEO of one of those EU
companies for just one month. I bet it would take less than a month to
teach them how to increase their sales, big time. All that upper mgmt in
Sales&Marketing has to do is copy what TI, National, AD and others have
always been doing. Those who wouldn't want to, I'd fire.

Then I'd want a commission of 1/10th of a penny for each extra Dollar in
sales. After that I'd buy an island, a LearJet and some other
necessities and retire.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Site Timeline