TI DSP soft core in Xilinx?

I have a V4FX based product and I'd like to have a DSP coprocessor to go with the the powerpc that handles my operating system. Are there TI c54x or c3x soft cores out there that could be compiled into a xilinx fpga? Could be anyone's dsp, I suppose, so long as it has a large existing code base and mature tools.

Also is microblaze an option? Can it do significant DSP?

Thanks, Clark

Reply to
cpope

You are kidding aren't you! For many years TI have been paranoid about application specific FPGA-based designs stealing market share from their DSPs. You only have to mention the word "FPGA" to a TI DSP sales or marketing person to get their blood boiling.

Reply to
David Spencer

Well from TI's perspective seems to me like a chance to make money off of IP they already have. There is a lot of code out there that for c3x or c4x and so on that could drop right in to a system like mine. Compared to the NRE to rewrite an existing app they can charge a fair amount for a core license. Right now they're probably making nothing off of these old cores.

But it doesn't have to be TI. Motorola or analog devices could do the same.

-Clark

Reply to
cpope

Actually, a start has been done at opencores:

Guenter Dannoritzer

All,

That would make no sense at all (to have a TI DSP soft core) in an FPGA!

It is far less expensive to just buy the part from TI.

As for making TI 'uncomfortable', we consider TI a great partner: they sell their DSPs into many markets, and when they can't do something fast enough, they sell their DSPs and our FPGAs.

If we sell our FPGA into a market, and there is a TI DSP that can do a job where we are not competitive, we encourage the customer to use TI, too.

Are there some jobs that TI wins, or we win exclusively (the other is just not needed)? Sure. That happens if we were partners, or not.

We sell, they sell. It is not a "zero-sum" game where there can only be one winner every time: we are all winning (customer, Xilinx, TI)!

Customer knows that Xilinx and TI are working together to provide them with the best solution to their problems.

Austin

Reply to
austin